Backup is not configured for the server RRS feed

• Question

• I've enjoyed WHS2011 for quite some time now but nearly every week I get this message:

"Backup is not configured for the server"

I check "Computers and Backup" and the server gives backup status "Not set up"

I click "Set up Backup for the server" but I only get "change" or "disable" (so that means it's currently enabled right?)

Anyway, I click "change", next next next, apply (nothing changed) and usually the message is gone for a few days.

At first I thought this was because I was backing up to an external USB-drive so I replaced that with a SATA internal drive.

Still I get this message

I can't find anything in the event log and I can't seem to find many people with this same problem (at least no solution)

Who's got a clear idea why this message would come up and what to do about it?

I can't stand the status not beeing green and always have to fix that else I can't sleep :P

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You mean you still get this kind of warning, even you have done the backup for the server before?

Since you have replace the backup drive before, I suggest that you could do a manual backup on the new hard drive to verify whether the issue could be reproduced or not.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Peanuts Computers Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:41 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Hello,

Been away a while, sorry for the late response.

Yes, I'm still getting this message even after I've gone through the proces of reconfiguring the backup.

The point is that it looks like WHS "forgets" it's backup settings once in a while.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi

Did you ever get a resolution for this? I have exactly the same issue and it's very annoying!

Monday, September 9, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi, I also have this alert every time the server restart. Any way to correct that issue? By the way, server backup still occurs twice a day and Is succesfull even it states it Is not configured...

Thanks,

Claude

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

Very sorry, no resolution. It must be by design so we buy a new one every few years ^^

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

You mean you still get this kind of warning, even you have done the backup for the server before?

Since you have replace the backup drive before, I suggest that you could do a manual backup on the new hard drive to verify whether the issue could be reproduced or not.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Hi James

Looking at the screenshot in your post, it seems you have the same issue as we do. We can see your name as the computer name. It is a shame to account people like us as pure idiots and ask us if the issue can be reproduced. You have some test labs with plenty of computers running WHS 2011 so it should be very easy to reproduce the issue yourself. After throwing us an incomplete product, missing an important feature for most users and selling it for 35 -50$, you want us to reproduce the issue? It is a shame to try to sell essentials for 499$. Of course, there is no intention to fix the product as it is almost end of life. If you just don't want to bother reproducing the issue and fixing it, then why don't you just go and do some shoe shine at a subway station near you, you won't need to reproduce anything...

As for reproducing the issue, configure the server backup, after a couple days running twice a day, just restart the server and you'll get the alert for the server backup not configured, but the backups will still occur twice a day despite the alert saying it is not configured.

Sorry for the bashing but even though we are not IT Support we are not completely stupid, we still have little knowledge about computers,

Claude

• Edited by Claude Dorion Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Claude Dorion Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Claude:

1. The bashing, as you put it, is unwelcome here.
    2. The issue doesn't occur consistently as you suggest. My Windows Home Server 2011 server has never had this problem, for instance. So yes, repro cases are needed if any attempt at a solution is to be made.
    3. That alert James posted a screen shot of is a standard alert that everyone will see until they have configured backup for their server. The issue isn't that the alert occurs, the issue is that it occurs after the server has had backup configured.

If I had to guess, I would say that this issue is likely to be either related to specific hardware, or it's a result of installing something on the server. In either case, I've never seen the issue occur.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Same issue here for a few weeks (and it remains there after changing my data drives or the -lonely- backup drive. Interestingly, the settings are not lost when reconfiguring the backup
    Friday, January 24, 2014 9:08 PM