System drive upgrade failed, reinstalled old drive, problem? RRS feed

• Question

• After reading that some users had success using Acronis True image to image their sys drive and restore to a bigger drive, I decided to give it a go.  It seemed to work fine, then I realized the backup service was not starting and I could not run the WHS console either remotely or on the server (error message that backup service not running - console appeared for fraction of a second and then dissappeared).  I could access all my files with no issues.  Since I couldn't run the console, I couldn't do a check on the backup DB.

I ran this script - no change after completing

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    chkdsk D: /x /r 
    chkdsk C: /x /r
    for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1

After further troubleshooting, it appears that my new hard drive has some issues.  Since I had made no changes since installing the new hard drive, I decided to swap back to the original sys drive.  I swapped back and booted up.  Everything appears to be working perfectly.

Are there any possible repercussions to this?  Any proactive steps I should take to verify things are good?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:22 PM

All replies

Are there any possible repercussions to this?  Any proactive steps I should take to verify things are good?
    Other than cloning your system drive in the first place being a wholly unsupported way to migrate from drive to drive, probably not. As long as everything Windows Home Server uses to identify a disk was cloned, you're probably okay since Windows Home Server isn't complaining about a missing disk. You could run chkdsk on all your drives, and you could run a backup database repair, for further verificaiton.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:31 PM