Launching the browser RRS feed

• Question

• We have noticed a few Add-Ins that want to launch web pages are launching IE on the server.  We think it is a really bad idea to launch any independent apps on the server...all of your UI should be contained within Tabs or Settings Panes.

If you want to display a web page we suggest you either

- Host the webbrowser ActiveX control

- Launch the browser on the client computer via the OpenURL in IConsoleServices

Thanks!

-cek

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 4:08 AM

All replies

• What is the secret to getting this to work?  As soon as I instantiate an ActiveX Browser (IEFrame.dll or shdocvw.dll) the tab quits functioning.  I have tried generating and copying the Interop assemblies to the WHS directory with no joy.

I also tried a .net version (System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser) with the same results.

Thanks,
    -Ed

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:11 AM
  •  EdHolloway wrote:
    What is the secret to getting this to work?  As soon as I instantiate an ActiveX Browser (IEFrame.dll or shdocvw.dll) the tab quits functioning.  I have tried generating and copying the Interop assemblies to the WHS directory with no joy.

I also tried a .net version (System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser) with the same results.

Thanks,
    -Ed

Ed,

I wonder if this is similar to a Timer problem simply not working. What I had to do with Timers is to not rely on the timer created by the Form designer in VS, instead I had to explicitly create a timer in the Load event for my user control.

I'm not at my WHS to try this...

• Add a WebBrowser control to the tab.
    • In the Load event for the tab initialize the WebBrowser control to "New WebBrowser()"
    • Set any special properties, including events, of the WebBrowser.

Jay

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Thanks Jay.  I created it 'by hand', and still had no luck.  Of course this was at 2AM, so I may have different results when I try it fresh :-)

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 6:38 PM
  •  EdHolloway wrote:
    Thanks Jay.  I created it 'by hand', and still had no luck.  Of course this was at 2AM, so I may have different results when I try it fresh :-)

Ed,

If I use the designer to add the WebBrowser control to a tab, the WHS Console will not show the tab *at all*! Either completely by the designer or my suggested hybrid method above.

However if I create the WebBrowser control entirely by hand in the tab's Load event, then the control will be shown & displayed.

Jay

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:16 PM
  • Thanks again Jay, I'll try it again
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 10:37 AM