Lic key sticker RRS feed

• Question

• I have changed my PC case, my Lic Key sticker is on the old case.

How can I get a new Lic Key sticker with the same Lic Key on a new sticker ?

Friday, May 25, 2007 8:31 PM

Answers

• I have a 3 month old toshiba and the COA is already unreadable, you would think they would make it of a plastisized wear resistant material. How can I get the numbers if I need to do a reinstall on this same machine?
    • Marked as answer by MACbrian Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:25 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:31 AM

All replies

• MacBrian,

You could have used the old product key and reinstalled the Operating system on the new system as long as you removed the operating system from the old system.  You won't be able to get a new sticker with the old product key. Please refer to the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA). Most of the time you may only install the operating system on one machine unless you have purchased several licensing per key. 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

• Unmarked as answer by MACbrian Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:25 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2007 9:07 PM
  • What this user is asking is a very real problem that many of us have experienced at one time or another repairing brand-name computers.  What he is asking is not about transferring the license from one computer to another, but about replacing the case, or a portion of the case on the same computer.

This is a very common problem with laptops, which may need to have the base panel replaced due to cracks or chips from being dropped, or "stress cracks" in the back where the hinges mount.  When a new base bezel is ordered from a manufacturer like Dell or HP, it will usually come with the FCC label and certification labels, but it will not come with a serial number sticker or Windows COA.  Authorized service providers may be able to obtain a replacement serial number sticker and Windows license sticker, but those of us who are not authorized service providers cannot obtain these things, and have to either try and salvage them from the old unit, or do without.

When I am doing such a repair for someone, I always transfer the serial number sticker from the old case to the new one.  It may look "tampered with", but it's the best I can do.  The only thing that I can do for the Windows sticker is make a good quality photocopy (black and white) on a suitable size sticker, and place that on the new case.  And then of course, the original case is returned to the customer with the original COA affixed to it.  I am not sure if this is how Microsoft wants us to handle that type of situation, but I have consulted with our attorney, and been advised that making a black and white copy for this purpose would be legal, since it clearly isn't meant to deceive/defraud anyone.  It would be no different than writing the product key on the bottom of the computer with a permanent marker, so it will not be lost or forgotten when the time comes to re-install.

It is an interesting question how one can order a duplicate COA in a situation where part of the computer's case needs to be replaced, and so far the only answer I have ever gotten was to ask the OEM (good luck with that), or sell a new Windows license, which is not reasonable if the computer already had a valid Windows license to begin with.

• Unmarked as answer by MACbrian Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:25 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2007 1:41 AM
  • I have a 3 month old toshiba and the COA is already unreadable, you would think they would make it of a plastisized wear resistant material. How can I get the numbers if I need to do a reinstall on this same machine?
    • Marked as answer by MACbrian Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:25 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:31 AM