Throwing out old computer - Need to recover license RRS feed

• Question

• We upgraded to XP on an older computer, and it's working marginally because of the small disk size and ram.  We want to throw out the old computer and reinstall the software, but we lost track of which software packge it is (we have multiple computers and multiple XP boxes).

How can I get the number from the software so that I don't inadvertantly use the wrong one to reinstall on our new computer?

Monday, August 28, 2006 12:44 AM

Answers

•  Greta00000000 wrote:

We upgraded to XP on an older computer, and it's working marginally because of the small disk size and ram.  We want to throw out the old computer and reinstall the software, but we lost track of which software packge it is (we have multiple computers and multiple XP boxes).

How can I get the number from the software so that I don't inadvertantly use the wrong one to reinstall on our new computer?

I would suggest reposting your non-WGA related inquiry in the following Windows XP newsgroup:

Discussions in Windows XP General: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Monday, August 28, 2006 2:11 AM

All replies

•  Greta00000000 wrote:

We upgraded to XP on an older computer, and it's working marginally because of the small disk size and ram.  We want to throw out the old computer and reinstall the software, but we lost track of which software packge it is (we have multiple computers and multiple XP boxes).

I would suggest reposting your non-WGA related inquiry in the following Windows XP newsgroup:

Discussions in Windows XP General: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Monday, August 28, 2006 2:11 AM
  • Greta,

The mgadiag utility will reveal the last 15 characters of the Product Key used to install a given installation of XP.

That should be fine for sorting out which PK goes with which type of installation.

Note that within license types, the CDs and PKs are interchangable since there is no specific PK tied to a specific CD.

Monday, August 28, 2006 4:07 PM