The product key of "vista business" on my brand new laptop is not genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody,

I have a big problem,
    I already bought a Toshiba laptop with "vista business". Firstly when I start the computer it started without any problem and windows was genuine. For certainty of my windows originality I changed the product key to the codes which is printed in the back tag of my laptop. But it is not start as genuine version and only a limit access to computer and internet is allowed.

I will be very thankful for your kind attention and help.

Regards
    Mehdi

Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:37 PM

Answers

• Major OEM PC manufacturers use a special product key when installing Windows at the factory.  You should not attempt to change the product key with the one affixed to your PC.  Please reactivate Windows Vista as follows:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Hi Yazdn,

Just to reiterate what Carey already said, Laptops sold by Large computer manufacturers (Dell, HP, Toshiba, so on) already have a Activated Product Key, straight from the factory. You do NOT need to enter the Product Key found on the sticker on side or bottom of your computer.

But, if you already have entered the Product Key found on the sticker on side or bottom of your computer, then you are required to Activate it by using the 'Activate by Phone' method. (follow the step below that best fits you situation)

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\slui.exe" press enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:57 PM

All replies

• Major OEM PC manufacturers use a special product key when installing Windows at the factory.  You should not attempt to change the product key with the one affixed to your PC.  Please reactivate Windows Vista as follows:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Hi Yazdn,

Just to reiterate what Carey already said, Laptops sold by Large computer manufacturers (Dell, HP, Toshiba, so on) already have a Activated Product Key, straight from the factory. You do NOT need to enter the Product Key found on the sticker on side or bottom of your computer.

But, if you already have entered the Product Key found on the sticker on side or bottom of your computer, then you are required to Activate it by using the 'Activate by Phone' method. (follow the step below that best fits you situation)

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\slui.exe" press enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:57 PM