Microsoft Money Deluxe 2005 UK cannot restore backups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm having an issue with Microsoft Money Deluxe.  I've been using it fine with build 1803 it was working yesterday. I can use it as a new file but I can't open/restore my backups.  The Registry fix resolved issues when window 10 first was installed. 

I have reinstalled after completing a full uninstall.  I'm in the UK so can't use Sunset. 

I've got 12 years of data that I can't access, just having a nervous breakdown.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Sunday, December 30, 2018 11:46 AM

All replies

• I am sorry to hear of your problem.

Copy the *.mbf and *.mny files to other media to guard against overwriting and media failure.

How large is the problem *.mny file? If it is big enough (such as 10 megabytes or bigger), it has not been overwritten. In that case you may be able to make a repaired version with a Standard Repair.

When you attempt a restore, make sure to browse to your documents folder and choose a new name for the restored file. This avoids overwriting your *.mny file. What error message do you get when you try to restore?

To search your c: drive for Money backup files that you may have, do the following command in a command window:

dir c:\*.mbf /s

It will take time to go through the whole drive.

Think about flash drives or cloud storage that may have a backup file. Your situation does not sound good.

I split your post into its own thread, because it has its own symptoms.

Sunday, December 30, 2018 4:28 PM
  • The registry fix was only needed before the first Cumulative Update to Windows 10 in August 2015.

Did you reinstall from an installation disk or from the QFE2 file at http://moneymvps.org/downloads/files/2005/Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe ?
    Your Money version should be 14.0.120.1105.
    If from an installation disk throw it away and save the QFE2 file for future reinstalls. You can update a disk install with the QFE2 file.

If you have a copy of your latest .mny file you should be able to open it with Money 2005 UK QFE2 if you copy the .mny file to your Documents area.

Sunday, December 30, 2018 7:52 PM
  • I think the UK disk installed the flawed Money 14.0.120.805 (as viewed with Help->About), so 14.0.120.1105 is QFE2.

So I think 1803 is probably a  Windows 10 build.

I hope DomincP's prescription fixes it for you!

Sunday, December 30, 2018 8:19 PM