Should write caching be turned off on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have just done my 1st build of WHS. I am recycling my old nforce2 shuttle sff. I am booting from an IDE drive connected to the motherboard. I have added a silicon image sata controller and two 750Gb sata drives.

I noticed that the policy for all drives was optimis(z)e for performance with write caching on. Is this recommended for WHS without battery backup (UPS)?

For the moment I have turned off the write caching. I could do this on the IDE drive using device manager. I had to install silicon image's SataRaid tool to turn off the caching on the sata drives. They are not running in raid mode nor do I have the raid bios installed on the sata controller. 

Regards

Paul

Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:49 AM

All replies

• If you don't have a UPS, and live in an area where you suffer from power glitches, then I would turn it off. You aren't going to see any difference in performance anyway.

Colin

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:46 PM
  • I agree. maybe the WHS team should attempt to make the default off or at least mention it in the install guide.

Write caching can be very useful for certain applications. At work, I see great improvements on SQL Server using the write cache on the disk controller. However these servers are all on a UPS and the disk controllers have battery backup.

I'd hate to get a power failure as a vital pointer is being updated.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  

Just as a final note on this. I turned off write caching on my boot drive (a 2 year old 7200rpm 320GB drive). I did not really notice much difference till I watched it hibernate. From circa 10 seconds this increased to maybe 4 minutes. Very suprising as you would think that the tiny write cache would fill up pretty quick on a sequential write of 1GB. I'm guessing the write cache helps in as a traditional buffer.

Paul

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:57 PM