WGA Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Firstly let me apologise, i'm virtually computer illiterate and i'm baffled by the sheer amount of information available here, i tried to read as much of it before posting, but after clicking link after endless link i failed to find the answer i was after.

My computer had a copy of XP pro that turned out to not be genuine so i purchased Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP Professional. However after attempting to load it  I'm asked for the 25-character Product Key which it tells me is on the the yellow sticker on the back of my Windows CD folder. The only sticker on the back of CD folder says "Windows XPPRO Genuine Adv English Intl Direct CD No Key"

I can't run the MGA diagnostic because without the key i have no access to windows.

Thankyou in advance for your patience in dealing with a recovering luddite, and for your help,

Toby North

Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Toby North,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. Error codes can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Antron-

• Marked as answer by Antron Monday, December 22, 2008 7:02 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Toby North,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. Error codes can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Antron-

• Marked as answer by Antron Monday, December 22, 2008 7:02 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Toby North,

The Windows Genuine Advantage kit does NOT come with a Product Key on a yellow-orange sticker as normal retail packages of Windows XP do.

Part of the ordering process that you went thru to get the WGA Kit was the receipt of an email from Microsoft acknowledging your order and providing you with your 25-character Product Key that will work with the WGA Kit materials.

Please check your past emails, including any spam filters/folders, for this email.

If you need to contact Microsoft regarding the order, please see this:

--Where is the WGA KIT I ordered?--

Thank you for purchasing a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit! Your new Windows XP product key and a link to an online conversion tool will be sent to the e-mail address you provided, within 2 business days. A CD will also be sent in case you need to reinstall Windows XP (allow 2-4 weeks for shipping).

We recommend checking your junk folders/filter if your new product key hasn’t arrived by e-mail within 2 business days of completing your order. If you still haven’t received your product key or have other issues with your order, going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx and selecting the country that you reside in, a phone number or email address will be displayed that you can use to contact your local customer service team.

Order support is available during regular business hours.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:18 PM