remote access ? RRS feed

• Question

• How can you tell who's connected to the server remotely.  I'd also like to see what they are doing, simple log would do.  Is this available on Vail? User xyz downloaded file abc at time/date, etc.

On a good note, Remote Access seems to be working very well, friend of mine was able to access my Vail server and download couple of MP3's without issue.  Except for my DSL lights flashing like crazy, I had no idea he was on.

Also, other issue I came across, I only gave him Read Only access to my Shared Music folder, yet he was able to download the files, doesn't sound like read only to me.

One more thing, I would of given him access to my music media library, but I couldn't limit his access to my other libraries.  I wanted to limit his access to the Music library only, but it seems to give you access to all the media libraries, is there a way to limit what access a user has to your libraries?  Sorta of the way you limit access to shared folders would work great.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:28 AM

Answers

• Who did what: Windows Home Server doesn't expose this information, so you'll have to analyse web and event logs to figure it out. Doing so is unsupported, but harmless.

"Read only": This phrase means "you can read the file, but not write to it." Downloading is a form of reading, so what's the problem?

Media library security: There is none; anything shared in the media library is available to every remote access user, and to every device on your network which can see your server and consume streaming content from it.

Edit: The above about media security was poorly stated. You grant media access via Remote Access on a per user basis. If you grant a user access to your media on the user's Remote Web Access tab, that user will have access to all shared media. So it's an "all or nothing" deal: access to all media for the user, or no media.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:42 AM

All replies

• Who did what: Windows Home Server doesn't expose this information, so you'll have to analyse web and event logs to figure it out. Doing so is unsupported, but harmless.

"Read only": This phrase means "you can read the file, but not write to it." Downloading is a form of reading, so what's the problem?

Media library security: There is none; anything shared in the media library is available to every remote access user, and to every device on your network which can see your server and consume streaming content from it.

Edit: The above about media security was poorly stated. You grant media access via Remote Access on a per user basis. If you grant a user access to your media on the user's Remote Web Access tab, that user will have access to all shared media. So it's an "all or nothing" deal: access to all media for the user, or no media.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:42 AM
  • There is a Remote Alert Addin for v1.  Hopefully, it will be available for Vail also.

I've been using the v1 Remote Alert Addin since it was available in beta.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

How can you tell who's connected to the server remotely.  I'd also like to see what they are doing, simple log would do.  Is this available on Vail? User xyz downloaded file abc at time/date, etc.

On a good note, Remote Access seems to be working very well, friend of mine was able to access my Vail server and download couple of MP3's without issue.  Except for my DSL lights flashing like crazy, I had no idea he was on.

Also, other issue I came across, I only gave him Read Only access to my Shared Music folder, yet he was able to download the files, doesn't sound like read only to me.

One more thing, I would of given him access to my music media library, but I couldn't limit his access to my other libraries.  I wanted to limit his access to the Music library only, but it seems to give you access to all the media libraries, is there a way to limit what access a user has to your libraries?  Sorta of the way you limit access to shared folders would work great.

BullDawg
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Very nice addin Dawg, that would satisfy my needs and then some.

I did find a way via general settings to limit what media libraries can be accessed via remote access, unfortunately it effects every user the same. They should set this up like shared folders where you can control every users level of access independently of each other.

As for being able to read only and having ability to download, I'm not crazy about that at all.  I may not mind sharing my photo's of my kids via web interface, but I'm not crazy about the idea of friends downloading the pictures.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Very nice addin Dawg, that would satisfy my needs and then some.

I did find a way via general settings to limit what media libraries can be accessed via remote access, unfortunately it effects every user the same. They should set this up like shared folders where you can control every users level of access independently of each other.

I'm pretty sure there is already a suggestion for that on Connect.  If so, you should vote for it.  If not, you should create your own suggestion. 

As for being able to read only and having ability to download, I'm not crazy about that at all.  I may not mind sharing my photo's of my kids via web interface, but I'm not crazy about the idea of friends downloading the pictures.

By definition, that is "read-only" (and that's not just Vail; every OS is the same way).  The person is reading the information from the server (and copying somewhere else).  There is no way to stop that (short of disabling sharing completely).
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:52 PM