none
PC Restore and Network Drivers

Question

• PC Restore is a great features of WHS. The only problem that I have is that now I have 2 different PC's that require network drivers other than those provided on the Restore CD. Is there any way to create a restore CD with these drivers on it? 
    There is another program that does kind of the same thing, Acronis True Image has a function called, "Create a Restore Disk" and it builds it disk based on mouse and network drivers that are already present on your hard drive. In other words, you are creating a restore disk that is specific to that PC. Would something like this be possible for WHS?  
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    there are two methods available:
    In the root of the disk of the backed up computers you should find a folder with Drivers for Home Server Restore (I have it only on some machines). If you copy this folder to an USB drive and provide it that way, with some luck it will work. It will never work on a Wireless connection with any kind of encryption.
    The second method is to remove the hard disk from the computer you wish to restore, attach it to a functioning client system with Connector software installed and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe from within that running client. Here you have also the possibility to overwrite partitions with the contents of the backups and can use the network connection the running OS provides.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Olaf,
        Thanks. I have the drivers on a USB drive, that is not the problem. The problem is, that the drivers are on a USB drive. I just wanted to know if there was a way to get them on a CD for restore purposes so that I don't have to keep track of the usb drives. Apparently there is not, but thanks anyway!!!
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hi,
    I assume there would be a way to inject drivers into the boot.wim involving the WAIK, but it's all not that trivial.
    The Walkthrough: Create a Custom Windows PE Image may help you to figure such stuff out.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:00 PM
  • JCharm said:

Olaf,
        Thanks. I have the drivers on a USB drive, that is not the problem. The problem is, that the drivers are on a USB drive. I just wanted to know if there was a way to get them on a CD for restore purposes so that I don't have to keep track of the usb drives. Apparently there is not, but thanks anyway!!!

No, I'm afraid there is no supported way to slipstream your client drives into the Restore CD. (There probably is a way to do it, though I haven't looked into it. But it wouldn't be supported.)

I suspect that it's not something you really want to do anyway. From time to time Microsoft may release a new version of the Restore CD software. Slipstreaming drivers (assuming it's possible) is a relatively annoying and time-consuming task, and it's not something you would want to do whenever it's time to update the Restore CD. In addition, there's no guaranteee that the next version of WHS will allow slipstreaming drivers, even through unsupported hacks.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:01 PM