How to troubleshoot failed system backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS 2011 on an Asus motherboard. All windows updates have been applied. Client backups are working. Most all functions of WHS 2011 have been tested and appear to be working as expected. However, recently I have experienced Unsuccessful and Incomplete Server System backups. It is invariably on the C: partition. The other small partition involved in the system backup is comepleted properly. When I look at backup status, I have a string of failed backups, then several completed backups, followed by several days, up to the present, of either unsuccessful or incomplete backups. The backups have always included only the two volumes required for a system backup. I have done multiple reboots, installed all windows updates, run repair/chkdsk on the C: drive.

The backup status goes from 0% up to 100%, then suddenly changes to "Unsuccessful" during the finishing backup stage.

I don't know what to look at, or what to do in order to diagnose the problem. I do have a backup from several days ago that I can restore from, but I would really like to understand what is going on before I commit to the migration from WHS V1 to WHS 2011.

By the way, the system drive is a small 200GB drive with no RAID or other stuff. Just a plain SATA drive, reformatted and partitioned during WHS install, and untouched (by me) since.
    • Edited by mediadogg Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:59 PM more accurate description
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:52 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• I'm not familiar with WHS 2011, but with WHS V1 I would run a chkdsk on the C drive have you done that already?  You might have some bad blocks on your system drive.  Also not sure about WHS 2011, but in WHS V1 chkdsk is run every night, if you look in the log folder their might be some chkdsk logs from the previous day you can look through.

Also have you checked your event log to see if any detail shows up about these failed backups?  

In my personal experience I had one of my 1.5tb drives start to go bad, I was having problems reading a couple of files... and only found out for sure because I dug through the event log and found disk errors logged...  From what I recall in WHS V1 disk errors don't change the WHS health indicator until it hits an error 3 days in a row.  Might be a similar case in WHS 2011.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, but my issue concerns WHS 2011.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:37 AM
  • I have installed WHS 2011 on an Asus motherboard. All windows updates have been applied. Client backups are working. Most all functions of WHS 2011 have been tested and appear to be working as expected. However, recently I have experienced Unsuccessful and Incomplete Server System backups. It is invariably on the C: partition. The other small partition involved in the system backup is comepleted properly. When I look at backup status, I have a string of failed backups, then several completed backups, followed by several days, up to the present, of either unsuccessful or incomplete backups. The backups have always included only the two volumes required for a system backup. I have done multiple reboots, installed all windows updates, run repair/chkdsk on the C: drive.

The backup status goes from 0% up to 100%, then suddenly changes to "Unsuccessful" during the finishing backup stage.

I don't know what to look at, or what to do in order to diagnose the problem. I do have a backup from several days ago that I can restore from, but I would really like to understand what is going on before I commit to the migration from WHS V1 to WHS 2011.

By the way, the system drive is a small 200GB drive with no RAID or other stuff. Just a plain SATA drive, reformatted and partitioned during WHS install, and untouched (by me) since.
    Do you have RTM installed?  If so, you could try filing a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Did you get this sorted because I am having exactly the same problem?

Mal
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:34 AM