Windows 7 doesn't re-sleep after backup RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed windows 7 x64 ultimate as a second OS on my main rig.

When it is running XP (32 bit), it wakes from sleep, backs up, and goes back to sleep.

When it is running Win7, it wakes from sleep, backs up, BUT doesn't go back to sleep.

I found this via google: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/719dd263-213f-4a1d-bddf-f7b517b05027

but they seem to narrow it down to a motherboard problem. Clearly, that isn't my problem since it works (and has worked for months) when in XP mode.

So, can anyone help my debug this issue? Are there log files on the client or the server that I should be looking at to help diagnose this?

Thanks.
    -Kevin
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:20 PM

All replies

• Can anyone help with this?

I found the computer actually asleep yesterday morning.  But this morning it was still awake again.

I checked the Event Viewer and found that yesterday it was put to sleep after 30 minutes of idle time.

I can't figure out why the WHS Connector isn't putting it back to sleep, (or, for that matter, why it didn't go to sleep after 30 minutes of idle time this morning).

Is there *ANYWHERE* to look to try to figure this out?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:55 PM
  • There are a lot of possible causes for sleep/hibernation problems in Windows. Every installed program and hardware component gets an opportunity to veto going into sleep or hibernation when requested (if it wants that opportunity, it simply hooks an appropriate API), and any program or hardware component can also set a hardware timer which will wake the PC at a later time. Identifying the cause is usually next to impossible.

The generic answer to this sort of problem is to leave your computer on if you want it to back up some night, and to shut it down if you don't care if it backs up. I have a dekstop machine that's fairly cranky this way, for example. I simply leave it on overnight every now and then.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:06 PM
  • This is an unfortunate answer.  It seems that this type of thing would come up often enough that it would be in the Event Viewer - "So and so application denied system sleep", or something along those lines.  That being said, I have absolutely no issues putting the computer to sleep myself...either via the start menu, or the sleep key on the keyboard.  If your scenario were true, wouldn't the exact same applications or installed program veto it?  I can also tell from the Event Viewer that nothing has woken the computer up in the meantime...

WHSConnector wakes it up, backs it up, and then nothing happens until I get to it a few hours later...and then it happily goes to sleep.

So, since this is a *very* new Windows 7 install, and there is almost nothing on it...how should I go about diagnosing the problem?  Start over completely and install nothing at all and see if it works then?  This is pretty ridiculous, really...
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Just some follow-up.

It turns out that when the WHSConnector is finished with it's work, and successfully enters sleep, the Event Logger shows this as a sleep reason of "System Idle."  I can determine this from last night's run and the timestamps all line up.  That's interesting for a few reasons (since the system really wasn't idle for 30 minutes before that...) but it at least is a clue that the system is trying to (and succeeded at least twice) in going to sleep after the backup was completed.

The only things that I changed yesterday was to download the latest nVidia drivers (video) which were newer than the one that the normal OS install had come up with.  I also disabled an unused LAN port in the machine's bios.  Also installed another 4 gigs of ram in the machine (but that's unlikely to have anything to do with this).  Hopefully it was the video drivers and I can stop there...we'll see after a few more days.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:48 PM
  • If your using Windows 7, it has a very useful command line utility called powercfg which should help you diagnose the problem. You must run it from an elevated command prompt in order to use it.

The relevant flags of interest would be the following:

-requests : will show a list of applications and drivers that have made Power Requests to prevent the system going to sleep or into a low power state
    -waketimers : will show you all the active waketimers currently set on the system along with their expiration times (the exact time and date at which they will wake up the system)
    -lastwake : will show you when the system was last woken up and what woke it

And for a bonus :)
    -energy : will run an energy trace on the system for 60 seconds and generate an html energy report showing potential energy-efficiency and battery life problems.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:21 AM