XP OEM Reinstall? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased and installed XP OEM 2 years ago.  It's now time to build a new system.  Can I reinstall this copy of XP OEM on my new computer or must I purchase another copy of XP OEM?

Thanks!
    Greg

Thursday, January 18, 2007 6:16 AM

All replies

• OEM Software lives and dies with a specific PC.  Plus, you can only acquire OEM software with a new PC.  You can't build it yourself, then install an OEM copy.  If you are building the PC yourself, you should install a retail (shrinkwrapped) copy of Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:56 PM
  • I've read that OEM software you receive with a PC is supposed to go with the PC if you sell it however where I live we have lots of computer stores selling shrink wrapped OEM copies of software  (or as we call it, NFB software - No Freaking Box) must cheaper than say the Staples full boxed version.  Everything in the shrink wrap is from MS so I don't see why you couldn't buy it, install it, remove it from that PC and install it on a new PC come time to upgrade.  You bought the OS and are using it on one PC at a time, otherwise it seems like a giant money grab from MS, which as we know is not all that uncommon.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 3:03 AM