ALOT of errors in the event log RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been running Onecare 2.0 in Vista without issue.  I setup onecare on an XP machine, and I get these errors:

This repeats in the event lof about 20 times in a 1 hour period.  Also WINSS, MsMpEng uses alot of CPU time.

Service could not be started.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winss.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winssnotify.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\Firewall\msfwsvc.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\Antivirus\MsMpEng.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW\DW20.EXE. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall was unable to check certificate revocation list for binary file. File Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winss.exe. MPS will treat the binary as unsigned.

OneCare Firewall failed while executing the following method: DeleteSingleInstance. Error Code: 0x8007007A, Error Message: The data area passed to a system call is too small.

OneCare Firewall failed while executing the following method: DeleteSingleInstance. Error Code: 0x80070490, Error Message: Element not found.

The Print Port Scanner Driver service failed to start due to the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:55 AM

Answers

• Thanks, Joe. Can you file a bug on Connect for this?

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:59 AM

All replies

• Thanks, Joe. Can you file a bug on Connect for this?

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:59 AM
  •  

Those errors are all Known and will be fixed in up coming refresh builds
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:06 AM
  • Just curious. I'm running OneCare 2 beta on a 4 year old, AMD 3200+ w/1GB DDR ram. The OS is a fully updated XP PRO with both .Net framework 2 & 3 (all this just for info's sake) and my event log is all but empty except for one minor error:

System.InvalidOperationException: The event log 'MPSSVC' on computer '.' does not exist.

at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.OpenForRead(String currentMachineName)

at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.GetEntryAtNoThrow(Int32 index)

at System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryCollection.EntriesEnumerator.MoveNext()

at Support.SupportClass.ExportEventLog(String Logname, String source, String category, String Filepath, DateTime oldestLogToExport)

at Support.SupportClass.CollectSupportInfo(Object ob)

OneCare 2 has run all day without stopping or failing. Strange as it might seem I'm wondering if these known bugs (failing after 2- 2.5 hours and the errors as posted in this thread) are only seen by some users and not by others. So far One Care 2 has just run quietly in the background.
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Hi, Kirk. Yes, not everyone will see the same errors. And only a few people are reporting the failing situation, so it isn't widespread.

-steve

Friday, August 3, 2007 5:09 PM
  •  

Ok, here is the deal, The Error "The service cannot be started" when u try to open Windows Live OneCare is still wide spread and there is actually no fix for it,

Some ppl might say that checking for the Network Location Awareness service and the Terminal service might be connected and need to be checked but this is not the case,

Even after using the clean up tool to remove OneCare and re-installing OneCare does not fix the issue.

The worst part is that half way through the Un-installation it gives a MSI error.

For that u need to delete all the registry keys under HKLM_SYSTEM_Current Control Set_services ......!!!!

Aint a lot of fun.

Anyhew,  the main issue is that What is causing the OneCare service "WinSS" to fail ....!

Even after Using MSIEXEC /x winss and MSIEXEC /i winss under the staging folder does not fix the issue.

Lastly there might be a user account corruption or a .net Framework issue, bt even they have been repaired and checked.

Is the hotfix gna be out soon......?

A OneCare user and a tester Smile

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:25 PM
  •  Das10304 wrote:

Ok, here is the deal, The Error "The service cannot be started" when u try to open Windows Live OneCare is still wide spread and there is actually no fix for it,

Some ppl might say that checking for the Network Location Awareness service and the Terminal service might be connected and need to be checked but this is not the case,

Even after using the clean up tool to remove OneCare and re-installing OneCare does not fix the issue.

The worst part is that half way through the Un-installation it gives a MSI error.

For that u need to delete all the registry keys under HKLM_SYSTEM_Current Control Set_services ......!!!!

Aint a lot of fun.

Anyhew,  the main issue is that What is causing the OneCare service "WinSS" to fail ....!

Even after Using MSIEXEC /x winss and MSIEXEC /i winss under the staging folder does not fix the issue.

Lastly there might be a user account corruption or a .net Framework issue, bt even they have been repaired and checked.

Is the hotfix gna be out soon......?

A OneCare user and a tester

See this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

There are actually 4 services that have been identified as being critical to OneCare at this time and if any of them are not started, OneCare won't start. An update to remove these dependencies is in development, but I don't know when that will be released.

If all 4 listed services are started and automatic, then please contact support.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:26 PM
  • The services were started, just some of them had to be started and set to automatic. Aftr restart same problemo ma frnd.

i wish support had a answer for this situation 

Ma guess is that a critical OS component would have crashed causing WLOC to also crash, dont knw the last option wud be to run a repair install of XP on ma comp and then check it.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:07 PM
  • If you have an open support case, I would suggest continuing to work with them until it is resolved.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:45 AM
  •  

The updates fixed the problem.

but now when the updates get installed there is a RED status message where the Required upgrade has not been installed on the computer - "Contact Help Centre"

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:04 AM
  •  Das10304 wrote:

The updates fixed the problem.

but now when the updates get installed there is a RED status message where the Required upgrade has not been installed on the computer - "Contact Help Centre"

Well, great that the error was fixed, but not great that you have a new problem.

I believe that you update to 2.0.2500.22 has failed.

Try rebooting the PC, running these tools:

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

Virus and Spyware repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2

rebooting again

Then open OneCare and click "check for updates."

If that fails to install the update to 2.0.2500.22, please contact support -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:57 AM