No response when I click "change settings" RRS feed

• Question

• I have OneCare on my laptop and on our desktop computer.  I get no response from my laptop when I try to "change settings".  I am wondering if it has something to do with me being signed in as the administrator on one machine and not the other- if so, could someone please tell me how to sign in as the administrator on my laptop?  I have forgotten and have looked at the help topics for login as admin, but saw no directions.  I don't know if it makes any difference, but the laptop is a hub pc.  I am pretty clueless about this stuff- any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:08 PM

Answers

• You cannot access Change Settings unless you have administrative rights on the PC.

If the account you use to log in with does not have administrative rights, you need to log off and log back in with a different account. If yours is the only account, that the account you need to log in with is "Administrator" and the password will be the one you used when you originally set up Windows on the PC or it may be blank.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:03 PM

All replies

• Sorry, I just tried again and get no response when I click "view last tune-up report", "view last scan report" and I could not click on the scan that was in progress.  When I click on them, they turn red briefly and then nothing happens.  I am really wondering now if these are all administrative tasks- and if so, I suppose I need to understand the same thing I asked in the earlier question: how to log in/become the administrator on my laptop when I am already logged in as one on my desktop.  Can you have two administrators? Thanks. 
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:16 PM
  • You cannot access Change Settings unless you have administrative rights on the PC.

If the account you use to log in with does not have administrative rights, you need to log off and log back in with a different account. If yours is the only account, that the account you need to log in with is "Administrator" and the password will be the one you used when you originally set up Windows on the PC or it may be blank.

-steve
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Yes, these are also administrative tasks. Note that if OneCare is installed on this PC, it was done when logged in with administrative rights.
    How you log in on the desktop PC and the 2nd PC have nothing to do with each other. The UserID for Windows login is unique to the computer, not the network.
    -steve

Friday, April 3, 2009 4:07 PM
  • I have the same problem.

I am the only user on my computer, I have checked the settings, reset the password and as far as I can tell I have administrative right's. However It is still telling me that I need them????
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:56 PM
  • I am also the only user on my laptop, am the administrator, and get no response from the "change settings" icon.  It seems that many other icons are non-functional as well... "view last scan report" and "view last tune-up report" are non-functional, but "view last back-up report" still works.  I have used this program since January and have never had these issues... somethin fishy going on
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:24 AM
  • I am also the only user on my laptop, am the administrator, and get no response from the "change settings" icon.  It seems that many other icons are non-functional as well... "view last scan report" and "view last tune-up report" are non-functional, but "view last back-up report" still works.  I have used this program since January and have never had these issues... somethin fishy going on

Please contact support for help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Hey,

Just so you know, if you are having problems with the computer saying that you haven't got admin rights, if you are using vista the solution is quite simple. Right click on whatever you are trying to run and click Run Administrator. This solution took me forever to find and is really quite silly, so just in case anyone else has the problem there ya go.

As well. I tried a bunch of different things to try and fix said problem, but once I uninstalled and reinstalled onecare everything was working again.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:36 PM
  • 1fallingangels1, yes, that is true for running a program in Vista, but that won't work for trying to use the Change Settings function when OneCare is already open and running.
    -steve
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:17 PM