Can OCS coexists with Exchange 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I recently deployed Exchange 2007 into our environment. I haven't yet deployed the UM role, but soon I will. I am also very interested in the comming Office Communication Server. But because of a limited budget I will have to deploy it on the same physical machine as the Exchange 2007. Is this a supported configuration? or I will have to use a different server?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 3:11 PM

Answers

• One way around this issue is to  run OCS using MS Virtual server. Install Virtual Server 64bit on the exchange box, since it has to be 64 bit, then host a 32bit OCS. 

I am not sure if the 2 card trick will work.  Not familiar enough with Windows tcp routing to see if this is a viable option.

-Andrew

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:44 PM

All replies

• I don't think you will be able to host both on the same machine.  They will both need to lock the sip ports (5060, 5061) for sip communications.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 7:58 PM
  • And is there a way to change these ports? I suppose that the answer is No, but...

Our firm is a small one (about 30 employees) and if we have to buy a new server just for the OCS, that should be costly and ineffective since the hardware of the Exchange machine shouldn't be fully utilized

Another question: What about if I install a second network card on the server and have respectively 2 IP addresses? Should I be able to configure the Exchage 2007 UM to use ports 5060 and 5061 on the one IP address (the first NIC) and the OCS to use again ports 5060 and 5061 but on the other IP address (the second NIC). If that is possible it would be great !!!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 7:51 AM
  • One way around this issue is to  run OCS using MS Virtual server. Install Virtual Server 64bit on the exchange box, since it has to be 64 bit, then host a 32bit OCS. 

I am not sure if the 2 card trick will work.  Not familiar enough with Windows tcp routing to see if this is a viable option.

-Andrew

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Ok, thanks once again.

When I got the hardware (a MediaPack 11x/FXO/AC/SIP-0) for the UM things to work, I'll set up a virtual machine with both Exchagne and OCS with two NICs and post back the results...

Lubo.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:51 AM
  • The idea would be to have Exchange running on the physical box and OCS running on the virtual instance rather than virtualizing them together.  You want to stay away from having both of those installed on the same instance of Windows.

Mike

Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:42 PM
  • yes, I'll certainly stay away from having them both virtualized. My idea is that if I could configure the Exchange UM to listen for example on 10.10.10.1 ports 5060 and 5061 and the OCS listen on 10.10.10.2 ports 5060 and 5061 than maybe there will not be conflicts between the two products.

Is there any other reason except the same ports that I should stay away from having both installed on the same instance of Windows?

Lubo.

Friday, June 8, 2007 8:22 AM