Are Google and MSN sitemaps the same? RRS feed

• Question

• I have used the same sitemap I use for Google to submit to MSN. Goggle maps all of the pages from my site Dees Fancy Dress Costumes  but Webmaster live only shows 8 pages.
    Do I have to add any other fields to my sitemap or is it that the bot is having trouble crawling my site?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Live Search supports the joint sitemap protocol. I also noticed you weren't using a robots.txt file. I suggest using one and referencing your sitemap.

Brett

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Hi Brett,  I stumbled on this thread and found it interesting, can you please explain "referencing your sitemap" a little more for me.

Thanks

Mick

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:31 AM
  •  

You'll generally find many of the sitemap generators will output with G in mind and that will almost always work fine with Live.
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Hi Brett

Can you explain why you would use the robots.txt file within a site map - would it be to purely direct the google bot or the msn bot? - or another reason?
    thanks
    Nick
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:10 PM
  • Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! are coming together in support of the SiteMaps protocol. And my 上海礼品公司  has only one
    sitemap- http://www.188gift.com/Sitemap.xml
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:30 PM
  • Does this mean we can submit the same XML Sitemap file to MSN and Google?

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Yes they are the same, the only difference is Google follows your sitemap and indexes the pages in it MSN takes no notice of your sitemap.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:22 AM
  • @catanich,

Yes, you can submit the same xml file to all of the big three SEs ( Live Search, Google and Yahoo).

Monday, December 1, 2008 1:14 AM
  • @Brett Live in the Big 3? What year do you live in? the rest of us are in 2008 not 2002.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 2:47 AM
  • I submitted my url for real estate auction

Not appearing in index yet.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Brett  -  Thanks

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:03 PM
  •  

I submitted ulr of my  site :Solar Manufacturer,Solar Products  to LIVE  is  sitemap.txt  ,and same as yahoo . But  do it as Sitemap.xml to Google.

That what i do  about the sitemap.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:14 AM
  • I had exactly the same experience  but could only get 6 pages via webmaster live for my website halloween masks horror masks latex masks
    and scary masks
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:19 PM