bought computer from government agency, DOT I think, with word on it when I bought it, is that not authentic? RRS feed

• Question

• bought a thinkpad that came from DOT, it already had word on it, is it not legal?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:50 AM

Answers

• Hello creative dude,

You bought a Thinkpad from the Department of Trasportation?   I am sure the software is "Legal". The real question is if you are licensed to use it.

If Word was installed using the DOT's Volume Licensed Key (VLK) then no, only DOT's computers can run software using the DOT's Volume Licensce Key. VLK keys are non-tranferable.  (note: I don't know if the DOT even has a VLK key for Word) 

If Word is using a Retail Product key, then yes, retail product keys can be resold (either by itself or along with a computer) without an issue.

The problem is that I don't have a good way to know what type of key is being used in your Word.  Therefore, since there is no proof that a VLK is being used, we will assume that the DOT sold you a computer with a copy of Microsoft Word that is using a Retail key and you are licensed to use it.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:07 PM

All replies

• Thank you for your help.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Hello creative dude,

You bought a Thinkpad from the Department of Trasportation?   I am sure the software is "Legal". The real question is if you are licensed to use it.

If Word was installed using the DOT's Volume Licensed Key (VLK) then no, only DOT's computers can run software using the DOT's Volume Licensce Key. VLK keys are non-tranferable.  (note: I don't know if the DOT even has a VLK key for Word) 

If Word is using a Retail Product key, then yes, retail product keys can be resold (either by itself or along with a computer) without an issue.

The problem is that I don't have a good way to know what type of key is being used in your Word.  Therefore, since there is no proof that a VLK is being used, we will assume that the DOT sold you a computer with a copy of Microsoft Word that is using a Retail key and you are licensed to use it.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:07 PM