MSMoney alive and well? RRS feed

• Question

• Here in UK M2005 is running smoothly, although I had a message on startup that some services were being withdrawn. Stock updates continue. 
    Friday, February 4, 2011 10:06 AM

All replies

• Mine too, although my UK M2004 has been disabled today. Only a matter of time before 2005 is switched off too I think.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Actually a matter of 10 minutes. My UK M2005 does not update shares prices now.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Still working ok on 2004 here but it's only a matter of time before it goes dry
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Actually a matter of 10 minutes. My UK M2005 does not update shares prices now.

My Money UK 2005 is still updating share prices - strange.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:38 AM
  • It appears to depend on when the servers send money the message that your online services have expired or that the financial institution's online services have changed.  I tried importing a backup from before 31 Jan into regular (not sunset) Money Plus.  Online updates worked once - statements and quotes downloaded, but so did the message telling money that the services had expired.  Since then nothing.

The sad thing is clearly the servers are still up and running - they just actively seem to kill the service.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:51 PM
  • What is odd to me is that I received the popup to tell me that online services were finished, and indeed there is no longer synchronisation with the MSN online portfolio.

However, my quotes and exchange rates are still updating. Could it be that UKM2005 obtains quotes from an independent server?

Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Can also confirm UK M2005 prices were still updating yesterday evening. They automatically update when you open Money.
    • Edited by qwakuk Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:59 AM cannot spell !
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:58 AM
  • My two share prices are still updating, I'm using 14.0.120.1105

Regards

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Mine are all still updating fine on 11 Feb. I'm starting to hope that this stay of execution is permanent. Perhaps some forward looking person at Microsoft UK has realised that there is no point in alienating their clients who use MS Money for no real cost saving - after all what does it cost Microsoft to allow Money users to access their MSN servers?

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:08 PM
  • I'm in the US .... and MS Money 2006 is still updating all Mutual Fund quotes daily.... same as always.

( Maybe they turn the server off when it breaks and it's a linux server so it doesn't break??)

Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:26 AM
  • 14.0.120.1105 still working, although GSK and VOD last update was on 31 Jan. Other stocks and funds fine. Currency exchange rate updates have gone, but that never seemed to be automatic. It will be interesting to see what happens when we have to do a re-install? Not risking it just yet!
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:38 PM
  • My Money 2004 (UK) worked until this weekend (12/02/2001), but has stopped now and the update option no longer works. I can't recall the exact message, but Money told me that the option had expired or something like that.

I used to update once a week, on a Saturday, which last worked on the 5th.

Unforunately, I also had "Get the latest Money updates" checked and I think this may have something to do with why the quotes seem to have stopped for some and not others. Maybe if I had stopped Money from updating itself earlier, then the quote option may still have worked (until the servers actually die)?

I don't suppose there is any way to undo the last Money program update to see whether I can ask the servers for quote updates again?

regards

Dave

Dave
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Dave

I did the program updates on installation and my quotes are still updating, but only in background. Whenever I go to the portfolio screen my quotes update. Try adding a new investment as a test and see if the prices update. I know for certain that 'BP.' worked for me today.

The 'update now' button stopped working for me on about the 3rd. This isn't a problem for me as the only other thing I use is exchange rate download. Changing a couple of rates once or twice a week isn't a big deal.

As far as the program updates are concerned check the link below. You can create a new installation CD containing the program updates which downloaded. If you have to reinstall Money you may find that the original un-updated version won't read your current Money files saved using the updated version. If the program updates have been turned off you are b******d. I must try the new disk on a different PC to see if it will allow installation without on-line verification.

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

CH
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:16 AM
  •  I must try the new disk on a different PC to see if it will allow installation without on-line verification.

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

CH

I did. It did.

AS

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Hi CH,

thanks for the reply, nope, my price updates are dead! When I go to the Portfolio screen, the price (and the trend) is frozen at 04/02/2011. I'm curious that your prices seem to be updating even though the manual "update" now button is broken like mine - very odd. If it was just the currency, then I could live with weekly manual updates as you do - the stocks would be a pain though! I am looking at Hung Le's Java App at the moment which looks like it will be my long term solution.

As I mentioned, I'm using 2004 - as I understand it, the update issue with reinstalling only applies to Money 2005 and I would be able to reinstall 2004 from the CD and import the Money file? (the linnk that you posted seems to agree with that - and if you're using 2005, that might explain the difference that we're seeing with the update issue)

regards

Dave

Dave
    Monday, February 14, 2011 6:02 PM
  • AS_H

Did you need to enter the original serial number when installing on the different PC ?

CH
    Monday, February 14, 2011 11:37 PM
  • BP stopped working for me at 1645 on 12 Feb (as did one other "share" price).

However, all my unit trusts are still updating as per normal as of today 16 Feb at 1307UTC.

I am using Money UK 2005 in France.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:07 PM
  • BP same for me, but I thought Glaxo was dead (GSK) as the last update was 31/1 but yesterday a 10/2 price arrived.  
    CH
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:31 AM
  • BP just updated with a 16/2 price!

CH
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Yes, me too! I just checked portfolio this morning and my BP shares have resumed updating with a 17/02 price, as has my EFT which had also stopped. All my funds continue to update normally.

I saw on a UK broker site (Hargreaves Lansdowne) that they had had a hiccup with their data feed, so perhaps the hitch in share price feed was not a MS Money issue.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:19 AM
  • I had noticed this also this morning when i went to download some bank statements into MM05.

I have quite a lot of shares, both UK and overseas set up in it.

It seems to be back to following its original sequence where up until 08.30 UK it shows US prices and movements, which at 08.31 disappear until about 14.45.

I have checked the prices for UK stocks against the prices in the google portfolio I have set up and they are mainly the same allowing for slight timing differences.

I have a dealing account with self trade, who for the last couple of days have also had a banner on their website talking about IT problems with data feeds affecting prices shown.

I had also noticed that despite not getting any UK price updates in MM05, US prices still seemed to be updating as normal

So maybe the quote download issue with MM05 was not permanent after all?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:47 AM
  • All data feeds for M/T/W were very iffy from most sites as there were glitches with the swap over to a new computer system at the LSE. I am using M2004 and although downloads of prices seems a bit intermittent I have received correct data today 17/02.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Now the update seems to have stopped!

Have been forcing money to do updates but the Market value and Todays Total change of my portfolios stays the same, none of the individual prices seem to be updating now either!

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Seems to be updating prices again!

I am assuming that it is now related to the data feeds rather than any MS induced

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Yes, I feel that MS does not control the source of the data, maybe Morningstar or the like. Hopefully they will leave the links in place.

CH
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:04 AM
  • The ideal solution if the plug does eventually get pulled, would be for someone to find the bit of/ file in MS Money which says "To Update investment prices, go to xyz website and download any stocks whose ticker shows up in MS Money file" then change it to a working website to get the investment prices.

The workaround that is being discussed elsewhere on this site involving importing dummy statements into dummy accounts, although useful as a fallabck is messy and not ideal.

I tried for most of yesterday afternoon to get it to work and made a mess of my money file, which fortunately I had copied elsewhere beforehand,

Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Seems to be updating prices again!

I am assuming that it is now related to the data feeds rather than any MS induced

Yep. Everything back here also...

AS

Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Dobtastic ,

I believe the URL="xyz website" is known (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873204)

The "protocol" between the MM and the server is not.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure what is happening!

I stopped getting UK share price updates into MM99 and my share gadget, for a couple of days, and saw that MSN Money was also not being properly updated.

I have now got share prices back but see that my share charts and historic prices (pre 12 Feb) are out by a factor of 100.  This has totally upset the gain figures.

I know that I’ve previously installed a patch to correct for prices being 100x out but what do I do now?

Regards

Mike
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Regarding the "workaround" being "messy and not ideal", if you have not already, I suggest give feedback, log a bug via appropriate channel so that it might get improved.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I am not a computer programmer, just somebody who uses Microsoft Money regularly.

I download statements manually from my bank as .qif files and import to MS money

I have stock portfolios set up in MS money and until recently I just clicked the "Portfolio" button and stock prices updated automatically whenever I wanted, albeit with a 15 – 20 minute delay.

I tried your JavaScript thing and set up a portfolio in Google portfolio to enable me to do this;

I then imported various files and managed to mess up my money file with duplicate stock tickers and transactions, fortunately I had a backup!

The conclusion I came to was that although it was very clever and probably took a lot of time and effort to create, its approach was a little like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg.

I would have thought that if the problem was the Microsoft quote server thing being switched off, the logical solution would be to modify something within the program files to point to a server or data provider that still works.

I realise that this may be over simplifying things, but I like simplicity!

I didn't mean to offend you and apologise if I did, but as long as I can get MS Money to update my stock prices without any complicated workaround I will take that option. 

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I am using 2007 Deluxe and the stock prices appear to be updating. However, I have so far noticed one  isolated stock whose price is not updating, FSLR, and I am not sure the reason. I have not noticed anothr stock that's not updating yet. Anybody else having similar problem?
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:35 PM
  • It has always been inconsistent. Some seem to update daily, others less frequently. All of mine have updated in the last week, BP 10 mins ago.

CH
    Friday, February 18, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Occasionally the odd ticker code in characters is not recognised, there will be a numerical code for that stock which will be.  Try looking it up on another site. 

I wonder if updating will be working on Monday?  I'm on Money 2002 and everything seems to be ok - touch wood!

Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:37 AM
  • I still update quotes and currencies by doing the "date trick" for which I actually have a batch file that makes it almost seem less for me so Microsoft servers appear to be working fine… I wish one can modify the executable to either make it pull a date within the date frame for which the software works like I was intended or not to date check at all…

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Strange, but my Money 2002 is still updating shares as before.  It was transferred off my old computer some years ago, whether this has anything to do with it.  I do notice in the morning before the market opens that the portfolio share price movement from the previous day does not zero but stays at that price until updating starts - not a problem though.  I only hope this carries on as I have not found an alternative share portfolio programme as good.
    whitelye
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:51 AM
  • 2004 is still updating for me but I did not mention it sooner as I did not want to tempt fate.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:57 AM
  • ver 14 is still updating for me.....

all I need now is to be able to influence the value of the shares :-)

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Mine is version 17 (money plus deluxe) like I said tricking the time bomb, and when I check the “about screen” it will always give one year exact to the date I check in the expiry date. I use a fix date in my batch file instead of setting x amount of time back in the system clock, that seems to be the best. I know mm 2007 works flawlessly but I have not found a way to regress my 2008 mny file to a previous version is there is a way at all.

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:18 AM