Windows Live OneCare 6 Home Computers RRS feed

• Question

• First, I am very pleased with several days performance of a 3 home computers in a circle on one Live ID subscription and have replaced my Defender & CA Anti-Virus.  (Steve, thanks for taking the antivirus step, which was long overdue for Microsoft...)

Next, I haved loaded Windows LOC on 3 other home computers, which software is acting as trial versions.  I have read all (I think) of the existing forum entries on more than 3 computers, including all of Steve's.  I am ready to pay another fee for the second set of 3 computers.  I want to sign those last 3 up as a circle and go live.   I realize that, as of now, I cannot set them up on the same circleas the first 3.  Not a biggie.  But, if I subscribe, my preference is to use the same LiveID (ie: email address) for the second subscription.  Question:  Does a 2nd subscription arrangement on the same LiveID work so that Microsoft keeps the 2 subscriptions clear (with two circles each of 3 computers with no overlap)?  Or do I need to fake-out Microsoft and use a different LiveID (ie: email address) so that it can work?

Happy New Year.  Thanks.

Bruce White

Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:20 PM

Answers

• Steve answered this in the thread above on "More then 3 PCs".  Thanks.

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:27 PM

All replies

• Steve answered this in the thread above on "More then 3 PCs".  Thanks.

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:27 PM
  • I'll clarify here, too.

One subscription per LiveID.

Up to 3 PCs per subscription.

So, a Circle can have up to 3 PCs and there is no overlap since the LiveIDs for each subscription must be unique at this time.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:31 PM
  • I'll clarify here, too.

One subscription per LiveID.

Up to 3 PCs per subscription.

So, a Circle can have up to 3 PCs and there is no overlap since the LiveIDs for each subscription must be unique at this time.

-steve

Quite the pity.  I've been well pleased with LOC at home, and would like to use it at our church to protect the 6 computers here.  Had no idea you had to create a new account for EVERY 3 computers you protect.  That's mighty archaic.

Think I'll wait before suggesting LOC at church... hopefully in the (near) future, you'll be able to add (purchase coverage for) additional computers, a-la-carte, beyond the first three, and manage them all under one account.

Sigh.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Sometime later this year Microsoft will be releasing the successor to OneCare, Microsoft Security Essentials. It is currently being tested. It will be free and will not require activation/subscription. It does not include many of the extras of OneCare, but it does use the same core antimalware protection engine and signatures.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:11 PM