none
Remote Access problems; cannot verify that my web site is available on the internet RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my windows Home Server work flawlessly for months with no issues and continuous remote access without issue. 

Without telling a storybook about my problems with this issue, here is the jist of the problems;

When I try to repair the connection, it verifies that Remote Access is available locally (pass), configuring UPnP (pass), sadly I keep getting an "x" or a "/!\" (warning) when it tries to test if its available on the internet.

This is what I have done to attempt this repair.

1. Configured ports 80, 443 and 4125 on a now brand new Cisco Linksys E3000 firmware 1.0.04(most recent) and im 99% sure its done correctly

2. Made a new windows live ID and new website

3. If turned it off, turned it on, configured, all that fun stuff

4. Rebooted the router (both re-configuring the port forwarding and not configuring it (trying to see if it would work naturally as I had it working), unplugged my modem 

5. Read though this forum to try and find a solution, my last resort is to re-install my home server (I built my own) and save the files (which I don't want to do, its a tedious job lol)

So, I don't know what's left to accomplish, i'm pretty computer savvy and ill understand any new steps or ideas I should take note to fix my issue

Any help is appreciated,

Thank's in advance to the forum 

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:05 AM

All replies

• If remote access works, then ignore the error that Remote Access is not
    available on the internet.  I get the same error on mine, but that is
    because I do not allow access on port 80 (http://).  I do have 443 turned on
    (https://) and Remote access works fine when accessing with
    https://myname.homeserver.com.

However, if you "need" to trouble shoot this further, go to

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

to test if ports 80, 443, and 4125 are really open.  If not, then you most
    likely have not configured your router correctly.  If 443 and 4125 are open
    and 80 is closed or stealth, then your ISP is most likely blocking port 80.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I've had my windows Home Server work flawlessly for months with no issues and continuous remote access without issue.

Without telling a storybook about my problems with this issue, here is the jist of the problems;

When I try to repair the connection, it verifies that Remote Access is available locally (pass), configuring UPnP (pass), sadly I keep getting an "x" or a "/!\" (warning) when it tries to test if its available on the internet.

This is what I have done to attempt this repair.

1. Configured ports 80, 443 and 4125 on a now brand new Cisco Linksys E3000 firmware 1.0.04(most recent) and im 99% sure its done correctly

2. Made a new windows live ID and new website

3. If turned it off, turned it on, configured, all that fun stuff

4. Rebooted the router (both re-configuring the port forwarding and not configuring it (trying to see if it would work naturally as I had it working), unplugged my modem

5. Read though this forum to try and find a solution, my last resort is to re-install my home server (I built my own) and save the files (which I don't want to do, its a tedious job lol)

So, I don't know what's left to accomplish, i'm pretty computer savvy and ill understand any new steps or ideas I should take note to fix my issue

Any help is appreciated,

Thank's in advance to the forum

BullDawg
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:27 AM
  • thanks for your reply!

I realize now I have not been that clear. I have NO access to my website at all.  Remote Access is not available.

I will try the port testing to see if my ISP is possibly blocking access (which i doubt) but its worth a try.  
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:02 AM
  • ports 80 and 443 are open, so that's a great sign
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Okay, that's a good sign.  Go to your WHS desktop, open a command prompt, and type ipconfig.exe, hit enter, and copy down the ip address.  Should be 192.168.xxx.xxx and then go to your router and ensure your port forwarding is pointing to that address.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

ports 80 and 443 are open, so that's a great sign

BullDawg
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:33 AM