vista hpremium activation problems RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgrade from windows sp2 to Vista home premium, and 2 days later my motherboard died. I purchased the same motherboard from dell, had my local computer tech put on motherboard and now when I try to activate windows I get code 0xC004C003

description the activation server determined the specified product key is in use.

Yes it is by me now it wants me to purchase another key. I spoke to microsoft activation line on the phone twice once directed me to another tech help was disconnected and then I called right back and she gave me a none working number???

any ideas wishing I stuck with xp in tennesseeSad

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you have an upgrade version of Windows Vista, you would have to perform a clean install of Windows XP, then perform an upgrade to Windows Vista.  It appears this was not done.

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Yes I have an upgrade version. I did a clean install myself from winxp sp2 but it kept failing @ 82% so I did a clean install and all was great. The product was activated and working fine.

it says right on the package a clean install may be required...

But just 2 days later my motherboard went on my dell xps 600 only 18 months old, so I called dell and they sent me a new motherboard for my computer which the tech installed and now it (vistahp) is asking to activate and wants me to buy a new product key, for the same product I just installed 2 wks ago...and legally purchased

same computer same motherboard

I was told I could call microsoft and they would take care of this. all i have gotten is a runaround from there support.

Is there a way to talk to someone real who can help the working man who loves his computer???

I appreciate your reply but am I missing something???

it sounds like Im stuck and have to purchase a new product key??

which has me thinking Apple...for my next purchase...

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:17 PM
  • You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:24 PM
  • slui.exe 4

this retrieved no results...Sad

now I get The followinf failure occured while trying to use the product key:

code 0xC004F061

description the software licensing service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading not clean installatons.

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Please review the following:

You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista from the Windows Vista DVD: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933176/en-us

Contact Microsoft Technical Support directly: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=11712

Friday, November 23, 2007 6:08 PM