Crashes on preview, when getting temporary filename RRS feed

• Question

• The program crashes when generating the preview after compositing the images. I'm linking to a crash report. I have a handful of them and they all look the same. I get the same results when I choose Auto Detect mode, or when I manually select things.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=VHg3aBMm

• Edited by ismyrnow Saturday, June 20, 2015 6:55 PM
    Saturday, June 20, 2015 6:54 PM

All replies

• Thanks for reporting this issue. The crash report is very helpful -- it indicates that ICE is failing to create a temporary file because there are too many files in your %TEMP% directory named using the pattern "tmp<four-digit-code>.tmp".

Could you please confirm by using Windows Explorer to look at the %TEMP% directory?  (You can type or paste "%TEMP%" in the address bar, and Explorer will automatically expand it to the actual temporary directory, usually something like "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp".)  If you type "tmp*.tmp" in the search box, I suspect you may find a lot of results, or maybe even 65,536 results -- the maximum number of temporary files that can be created with that pattern.

Now, you could try to delete those files, but perhaps some other application is using them.  A safer course of action is to use the Disk Cleanup program by following these steps:

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the C: disk and select "Properties".
    2. In the "System (C:) Properties" window, click on the "Disk Cleanup" button next to the pie chart showing disk usage.
    3. Check the "Temporary files" check box and uncheck all the others (requires scrolling the list).
    4. Click the "OK" button.

This should clean up temporary files that are older than one week, and hopefully alleviates the problem.  Please let us know whether or not it works!

Even if Disk Cleanup helps, there's still the mystery of what application is filling your %TEMP% directory with files -- but that can only be solved using a tool like Process Explorer.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Monday, June 22, 2015 6:34 PM