Windows not Genuine icon on taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• I need help

The other day I went over my mother in laws house and was updating some spyware definitions on her PC when I noticed this blinking star on the taskbar. I right clicked and it came up with saying "Windows is not genuine" or something to that extent. A year ago a friend of hers updated her computer from Windows 98 to XP professional. She doesn't have a recovery disc or XP product key or anything to go from where she could reinstall the OS. Would she be able to be prosecuted or taken to court because of this even though she was not aware that this XP was counterfeit? Would I be able to buy another copy of XP and install it on her computer?

Thank you

Monday, May 22, 2006 5:50 PM

Answers

• PMJTMR:

Yes, you can start from scratch.

Thanks,

Greg

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:03 PM
  • Oh aight thanks rock on
    Monday, May 22, 2006 7:09 PM

All replies

• Q. "Would she be able to be prosecuted or taken to court because of this even though she was not aware that this XP was counterfeit?"

A. No.

Follow the detailed instructions in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article to resolve the problem:

Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/

Monday, May 22, 2006 6:16 PM
  • So if I don't change the notification settings or update using the means shown on the WGA site, does that mean I won't be able to register a new copy of XP. For example if I were to buy XP professional at a store and install it on that same computer with the WGA notification, would I encounter any problems in doing so?
    Monday, May 22, 2006 6:23 PM
  • In order to solve the problem immediately, you can puchase locally a "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional and then perform a "Repair Install" using the new Windows XP CD and Product Key that comes with it.  Follow the instructions carefully:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    Monday, May 22, 2006 6:28 PM
  • So after that it should be free and clear of the WGA alert? Because I was actually thinking of just starting from scratch because there is so much on that computer its not really worth repairing. I guess my final question is can I just go ahead and start from scratch or do I have to "repair install"?
    Monday, May 22, 2006 6:49 PM
  • PMJTMR:

Yes, you can start from scratch.

Thanks,

Greg

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:03 PM
  • A "Repair Install" will enable you to retain your personal programs, files and settings and install the proper Windows XP Pro license required to pass the Windows Genuine validation test.

If you wish to install a new genuine version of Windows XP from scratch, you can purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Home Edition (which costs much less than Windows XP Professional). Once you acquire your genuine version of Windows XP, follow the instructions for a "Clean Install":

Clean Install Windows XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    Monday, May 22, 2006 7:05 PM
  • Oh aight thanks rock on
    Monday, May 22, 2006 7:09 PM
  • If she can locate the W98 recovery CD or operating system CD that might have come with the computer, she can use it as proof of previous purchase and use the cheapest version of XP available at retail which is the XP Home Upgrade.  These have recently sold in my area for $49 after rebate at some of the big name electronics stores.

To install, start the computer from the XP Home Upg CD, then insert the old W98 CD when asked (this is called "qualifying media").  In a few seconds XP says remove that CD insert its own CD and then you finish installing XP Home.

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:27 PM
  • yeah we got the 98 CD. and thats what I was planning on doing just upgrading it from there. I know how to do that just wasn't sure on the possibiltiy of doing so since this WGA icon came up... you know.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 7:38 PM
  • Thanks Leroy, Greg and Dan for clarifying my confusion with the WGA icon. Now I know what to do. One final thing... I read through all the FAQ's that came with the notification and it didn't clarify this... Is there a certain time limit where you must get this taken care of. For example, lets say I decide to keep XP as is, will it stop running or will I just stop receiving support. I'm not gonna let it go.. but I was curious nonetheless.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 7:48 PM
  • As I understand MS's intentions for right now, the plans are to keep it "nag-only."  IOW, they do not plan to have XP blow up your computer Mission:Impossible style...well at least not yet!  ;-)

BTW for great advice on all topics related to XP, participate in the discussions at http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:40 PM
  • oh sorryfrend, but i not be able for buy the Xp windows validation key. if you may i help me and I tank you, but is not I any time from same form. tank by atencion..
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:51 PM
  • Good evening peolple, thats is my second time who become here by take help for me, because my xp windows is not avalable on the up date site, because a have problem there with identification. I need this validation software, he is not work .

Or I can make sure for have a win this business.

well i stand by a answer. thanks.

Atte: TXRAsFRANC

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:31 PM