New Install 2 new 500gb SATA drives RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am getting ready to build my 1st WHS. I have read that the primary drive should be a large drive so I purchased to brand new 500gb SATA drives.

I was reading threads here that say only 1 drive should be connected during initial install so that you are sure which drive becomes the primary drive. After install then add the 2nd drive to the storage pool and enable disk duplication.

Is this really necessary?

Can I have each drive connected to each sata port on the MOBO (primary and secondary) during the install and will it let me pick which drive I wish to do the install on?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:55 PM

Answers

• Nick, you won't be able to pick which drive it installs on. However, Windows Home Server normally picks the first drive of sufficient size that's presented by the BIOS, so if you install a drive of at least 80 GB on your SATA port 1 (or 0, if the motherboard manufacturer numbers from 0) you can probably be pretty confident that you'll be installing on the drive you wanted.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:48 AM

All replies

• Nick, you won't be able to pick which drive it installs on. However, Windows Home Server normally picks the first drive of sufficient size that's presented by the BIOS, so if you install a drive of at least 80 GB on your SATA port 1 (or 0, if the motherboard manufacturer numbers from 0) you can probably be pretty confident that you'll be installing on the drive you wanted.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Thanks Ken,

I just installed the software and it let me choose which drive to install it on, since both drives are the same two 500GB they showed up in the list as Drive 0 and Drive 1 and it asked which drive I would like to install it on.

I chose drive 0 and then it said it would format the drvies as expected during a new install.

So either I misunderstood the windows software what it was asking me or they have updated the install process.

either way I guess it really does not matter since both drives are exactly the same size and they are each installed on their own sata connection.

Anyway Thanks for the input

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:04 AM
  • Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:06 AM
  • It it interesting this came up today. I read the same thing after I tried to install WHS on a server I built using an ASUS M2A motherboard with two 750 GB drives. The board enables RAID 0 and 1 so I tried to install WHS with two drives indicated as RAID. Didnt work, so I cut back to one drive and selected IDE in the BIOS under the SATA configuration instead of RAID and WHS did install. I then connected the second drive back up and tried to enable the motherboard RAID with no luck. I was further puzzled  when I connected the second drive and left it set as IDE, I didnt see it in WHS or in my computer. Finally, I tried the disk manage function and see the second disk as an unallocated space. Soooo, several questions:

Does WHS preclude the use of a hardware enabled RAID function? If not, how do I set that up under WHS? (when I switch to the RAID function in the BIOS WHS wont boot).

If I have to use the WHS duplicate function, do I just set up two identical size named partitions in each drive?

Suppose I want redundant partitons for music, photos, which are separate from my backup partitons, (mainly for organizational purposes), can I do this?

But the real thing bugging me is the apparent inability to use the hardware RAID function, or am I missing something. I dont want to put this server on line until I resolve this. More help please....thanks

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

You should disable all the RAID options in the bios if you wish to use WHS succesfully.
    I have the Intel DG965WH as my WHS board, I set the SATA options to IDE compatible mode.

You really won't see any speed increase using RAID and you would be just opening a can of worms.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:27 AM
  • uffelmand, have a read through the Drive Extender whitepaper: http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Firstly, Microsoft doesn't support WHS on RAID volumes in any form.

Secondly, the beauty of WHS is that you don't manage drives at all. You put in a new disk, right click and tell WHS to add it to the pool. WHS takes care of partioning etc. If you want some data to be protected, you turn on duplication for that share and WHS makes sure that there is always two copies of that data on different physical disks.

You don't have any issues with expanding RAID volumes, or having to have multiple identical disks. You can throw whatever disks you have lying around into the storage pool and the space gets added.

Each disk has an NTFS volume on it that can be read by any other Windows box should WHS fail, and the failure of a single disk doesn't affect the other disks in WHS.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:27 AM