Vanguard Account Transitioning and PocketSense RRS feed

• Question

• Vanguard is switching mutual fund accounts to broker accounts. Their latest email is "Reminder: Your account needs to be transitioned".

Currently things work great with Pocketsense downloading the quarterly transactions into Money. When I transition my account at Vanguard, I expect to need to change the account number in the setup.  Is there anything else that came up when you did the transition at Vanguard? Different fid perhaps?

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:03 PM

Answers

• Summary: No problems. I am detailing some things, but things will go fine for you if you never read what follows, EXCEPT be sure to create VMFXX money market fund in Money before downloading from the new account.

Prior to making PocketSense changes, I download my daily PocketSense Updates. Vanguard provided a RemoveShares transation. I clicked No, which voids the transaction. I told Money to not adjust... I intended to use the same Money account for the old and new Vanguard accounts.

Updated to latest release version of PocketSense, so that my experience would match others. While I did keep my own scrubber.py, that did not affect this.

In PocketSense I  ran setup.py. I chose add " 1. Add or Modify Account " by just typing 1. PocketSense presented the Site List. I typed the number for Vanguard.  It asked for User Name and Password. It then gave a list of the available accounts.
    Enter line #, *or* the actual account number
    Account List
    1. 01234567890
    2. 97654321
    Account #       :2

I entered the single digit 2, and the new account number (which I would not have had to know) got used.
    I continued, and told it to test the account, and send the result to Money. I got the "Select a Money Account for your imported file".  I chose the existing Vanguard account.

It said it had a new investment  VMFXX. I selected  yes, add as new. It then asked about a new AddShares transaction. Just as I had done for the RemoveShares, I chose No. That voided the AddShares too.

I then delete the old account in PocketSense.

Friday, February 15, 2019 6:03 PM

All replies

• Update: I started the transitioning. As is my normal practice, I did not go through the link in the email.

They asked added questions -- probably know your customer stuff, but maybe also to help them solicit. I hope it is not to sell the data.

Looking through some pages, I saw what may be my new account number. So that will be something I will have to change in PocketSense, I expect. If that is all, that will be good.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:37 PM
  • Summary: No problems. I am detailing some things, but things will go fine for you if you never read what follows, EXCEPT be sure to create VMFXX money market fund in Money before downloading from the new account.

Prior to making PocketSense changes, I download my daily PocketSense Updates. Vanguard provided a RemoveShares transation. I clicked No, which voids the transaction. I told Money to not adjust... I intended to use the same Money account for the old and new Vanguard accounts.

Updated to latest release version of PocketSense, so that my experience would match others. While I did keep my own scrubber.py, that did not affect this.

In PocketSense I  ran setup.py. I chose add " 1. Add or Modify Account " by just typing 1. PocketSense presented the Site List. I typed the number for Vanguard.  It asked for User Name and Password. It then gave a list of the available accounts.
    Enter line #, *or* the actual account number
    Account List
    1. 01234567890
    2. 97654321
    Account #       :2

I entered the single digit 2, and the new account number (which I would not have had to know) got used.
    I continued, and told it to test the account, and send the result to Money. I got the "Select a Money Account for your imported file".  I chose the existing Vanguard account.

It said it had a new investment  VMFXX. I selected  yes, add as new. It then asked about a new AddShares transaction. Just as I had done for the RemoveShares, I chose No. That voided the AddShares too.

I then delete the old account in PocketSense.

Friday, February 15, 2019 6:03 PM