OEM Window Xp Pro - Need help.. =( RRS feed

• Question

•  

Here's what happen.....

I got this new computer.. so i use my current com's OEM cd (Used) to install window xps into my new computer using the old cd key and OF COURSE i cant activate as its already being used by my current computer.. i know i know.. i install it into the new computer so i can start playing before getting another OEM as i'm waiting for my paycheck to go through. yaya.. i got my OEM finally on the 27th day( 3 days before activation deadline ) phew! i quickly activate online and use the option of inputing the new cd key to insert my new cd key and DA DANG~ activated... but on the 31st day of my new com's life... i install a game named FURY.. some new mmorpg and then i do a restart then boom! i was prompted that my activation grace time is over and i need to activated to login! gosh wth is going on! well well... still gonna do it..

then i went to do internet activation.. retried a few times.. all failed.. failed to activate it says. well no choice.. i tried the telephone option... ... ... ... ... ... DA DANG~ Activated! great! congrats! then i try loggin in again.. then i was promted by the same thing asking me if i want to activate my windows now ( options are YES / NO ) and i choose no! ok.. i was log out.. then i try login in then same thing and i choose YES.. ohhh.. comes up this same cool activation window but it says.. ur window is activated and ENJOY! wth... i try over and over again a few times and i cant get to a solution... well... i got no choice but to try my chances at reinstalling my windows... now i got no internet connections and cant login and when i try for the telephone option i got no installation ID!! gosh.. need some help... any suggestion or idea wad might be going on??? ^.^ solution appreaciated..

Friday, October 26, 2007 11:17 AM

Answers

• Hello Arch3r,

Installing an operating system verses upgrade installation from an existing operating system is considered a clean install. Upgrading an exisitng operating system to a newer version may present you with problems. Example if the existing system had been used for several months or over a year there may be corruptions and possible burps which may occur. In turn if you lay over the top of this with the upgrade what may happen? Problems. This is why it is to your advantage to always perform a clean install (if time permits). Please always back up all files such as pictures, documents, databases, spreedsheets, internet bookmarks and other important data located on the machine. Users should always try and maintain file organization and structures daily with all data. Next back up all data to a secondary internal hard drive, external hard drive, Cd or DVD burner or any device where you feel comfortable with safguarding the data. 

Hard drive formatting is where everything is wipped off then it become reformatted and set up to receive the operating system.

Please follow this link it may provide you with some information which may address some of your concerns: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:45 PM
  • Arch3r,

The information (link) I provided you with should have give you the step by step proceedures for reformatting and installing windows from ground up. Also I provided you with an explaination to your question. What exact problems are you experiencing when attempting to reformat the computer and installing windows operating system? Please note the purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic. Please try and post your question @ Discussions in Windows XP General Forum with more details:    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

This forum is more designed for handling your question. I apologize that I could not have provided you with a quicker solution.

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:26 PM

All replies

• Perform a "clean install" using your new OEM Windows CD and product key.  I assume its "genuine".

How to perform a clean install:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:27 PM
  •  

It is genuine. How different is a clean install different from reformat? or is it the same??

Because i have reformated and reinstalled my xps many times.. just doesnt work.. sorry to doubt your answers.. i'm kinda lost..

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Hello Arch3r,

Installing an operating system verses upgrade installation from an existing operating system is considered a clean install. Upgrading an exisitng operating system to a newer version may present you with problems. Example if the existing system had been used for several months or over a year there may be corruptions and possible burps which may occur. In turn if you lay over the top of this with the upgrade what may happen? Problems. This is why it is to your advantage to always perform a clean install (if time permits). Please always back up all files such as pictures, documents, databases, spreedsheets, internet bookmarks and other important data located on the machine. Users should always try and maintain file organization and structures daily with all data. Next back up all data to a secondary internal hard drive, external hard drive, Cd or DVD burner or any device where you feel comfortable with safguarding the data. 

Hard drive formatting is where everything is wipped off then it become reformatted and set up to receive the operating system.

Please follow this link it may provide you with some information which may address some of your concerns: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:45 PM
  •  

Hi please read my 1st post on top and come back to this post... I tried the clean install.. it doesnt work... there seems to be a corruption somewhere... whenever i complete my clean install the activation problem still stops me from login in. can anyone identify the problem? My computer is new and have onli been install by the same OEM xp cd.
    Friday, October 26, 2007 11:19 PM
  • Arch3r,

The information (link) I provided you with should have give you the step by step proceedures for reformatting and installing windows from ground up. Also I provided you with an explaination to your question. What exact problems are you experiencing when attempting to reformat the computer and installing windows operating system? Please note the purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic. Please try and post your question @ Discussions in Windows XP General Forum with more details:    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

This forum is more designed for handling your question. I apologize that I could not have provided you with a quicker solution.

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:26 PM