"Duplication is failing" alert for files with pathnames longer than 260 characters RRS feed

• Question

• I copied some files up to the server that were nested pretty deep in multiple folders, and when I finally enabled duplication, I got a yellow At Risk icon, with the following:

Storage Status

Duplication is failing for shared folder: Software. The folder may contain files with path names longer than 260 characters.

And when I hit Details, it shows the file name and paths, and yes, they're definitely a bit long.

"FAILURE: D:\shares\Software\EDrive\Storage\Datastore\Storage\SSDATA\My Documents\Personal Dealings\Navman Auction on Ebay\eBay item 3070353390 (Ends Mar-06-04 204840 PST) - External Antenna for Navman 3450 GPS, iCN 630_files\eBayISAPI_files\mrchWdgt_lftStar01_b.gif"

Anyway.... I think there should be a way to ignore or clear this error message, it's NOT critical, and Windows should simply truncate the filenames instead.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:45 AM

Answers

• FYI, rebooting after deleting the offending files cleared the error and the server went back to green.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:49 AM

All replies

• FYI, rebooting after deleting the offending files cleared the error and the server went back to green.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:49 AM
  • I just had the same error. I would prefer a "Done"- or "Problem solved"-Button. I don't want to re-start my server everytime a familymember copied an File with large name on the WHS
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:17 PM
  • I see that now-a-days it is more than normal to have that long paths. I see this as simple BUG. Why is user bothered with issue like this. Server should save files and that's it. No matter in how long path they happen to reside.

My few cents

T.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:33 PM
  •  

What's up with this stupid error, Microsoft?

Windows Server 2003 does not have this bug.

FIX IT!

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:27 PM
  •  manwoman wrote:

What's up with this stupid error, Microsoft?

Windows Server 2003 does not have this bug [....]

Ah!  But Windows Server 2003 will also have some limit on overall filename+path length, though I don't have the figure to hand. (Hopefully someone can post that figure here for a purely-2003 server. It's probably unchanged since W2K or even NT4?)

In its duplication scheme, WHS adds an extra directory layer ("\DE") to every duplicated file, so it needs a bit of elbow room above the existing maximum path+filename length to guarantee it can manage and restore your file with its original path+name.

It's interesting that your up-and-humming WHS is warning about pathname lengths over 260 characters, because the Drive Extender Technical Brief (admittedly Version 1.0 of the Technical Brief, published in October 2007), warns about "file names" longer than 240 characters ... (I'm asuming that their use of the words "file names" here means the same as the word "pathnames" used in the error message/subject of this Topic. I understand that maximum path+filenames on all recent Windows systems is in the vicinity of 250 characters, but I'll happily defer if others know for sure ...).

Drive Extender Technical Brief - Version 1.0
    You will also lose files with file names longer than 240 characters as a consequence of removing a hard drive. Windows Home Server sends you a health message if you have files with file names longer than 240 characters. Rename these files with a shorter file name.

Maybe the developers have refined their duplication algorithm to allow those extra 20 characters (that's a lot of characters!), but until we know for sure it might be wise to check for and trim any path+filenames longer than 240 characters.
    (I'll welcome corrections.)

Colin P.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:23 AM