Problems with WHS security certificate??? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently set up a new WHS. I get the following error when trying to access it from my laptop or desktop.

The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified.  Do you want to continue anyway"

The remote computer could not be authenticated due to problems with its security certificate.  It may be unsafe to proceed.

Name in the certificate from the remote computer : Server1

Certificate errors:
    The following errors were encountered while validating the remote computer's certificate:

The certificate or associated chain is invalid (Code: 0x 10000)

Do you want to connect despite these errors?

If I answer yes everything proceeds as normal.

I tried clicking "View Certificate...Install Certificate", which said it install correctly but did not cure the problem.

Any suggestions????

Thank you rctaubert

Doesn't anyone know anything about the security certificate on WHS?????

Like: where is it?, how do I view it?, any suggestions on how to repair it?  ANYTHING?
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:45 PM

All replies

• I recently set up a new WHS. I get the following error when trying to access it from my laptop or desktop.

The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified.  Do you want to continue anyway"

The remote computer could not be authenticated due to problems with its security certificate.  It may be unsafe to proceed.

Name in the certificate from the remote computer : Server1

Certificate errors:
    The following errors were encountered while validating the remote computer's certificate:

The certificate or associated chain is invalid (Code: 0x 10000)

Do you want to connect despite these errors?

If I answer yes everything proceeds as normal.

I tried clicking "View Certificate...Install Certificate", which said it install correctly but did not cure the problem.

Any suggestions????

Thank you rctaubert

Doesn't anyone know anything about the security certificate on WHS?????

Like: where is it?, how do I view it?, any suggestions on how to repair it?  ANYTHING?

You might have to consider doing a Server Reinstallation.  However, before doing so, I assume you are trying to create a Remote Desktop Connection to your server (which is unsupported)?  Has it always done that?  Have you installed any apps/add-ins on the server?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:58 AM
  • I will try a Server Re-install.

I am surprised that you say 'Remote Desktop Connections' are NOT supported.  I have seen it recommended all over the forums for various things.  I used it all the time on my 'old' server.

This is a new home-built computer and a new WHS installation.  I installed SQL Server 2005 Express on it.

Where is the certificate??  How can I access it??  I looked in various management apps but didn't see anything.

Sunday, November 8, 2009 10:52 PM
  • I will try a Server Re-install.

I am surprised that you say 'Remote Desktop Connections' are NOT supported.  I have seen it recommended all over the forums for various things.  I used it all the time on my 'old' server.

It's never "recommended" for WHS (at least not by MVPs).  It's only brought up as a way to troubleshoot problems that you couldn't investigate otherwise.  If you don't believe me, do a search for "not supported" or "unsupported" in this forum and see how many hits you get.  :)  (Not to mention that big warning that basically says, "You don't want to be here!!!" every time you logon to the server desktop.)

This is a new home-built computer and a new WHS installation.  I installed SQL Server 2005 Express on it.

Which, of course, is unsupported.

Where is the certificate??  How can I access it??  I looked in various management apps but didn't see anything.
    As I said before, I believe a Server Reinstallation will be a much less painful process (plus that would be the supported recovery scenario).  However, if you want to mess with the certs, you can find them as part of IIS Manager.  (To be honest, as long as your server is working otherwise, if it was me, I would just ignore it.)
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:40 PM
  • I believe you.  But Remote Desktop Connection does work.  I have been using it since WHS first hit the market.

And, if I am not mistaken, the warning is about using what would otherwise be standard server management tools on WHS, which I am careful not to do.

I realize that SQL Server is not supported.  MS might as well get used to the idea that people are going to find ways to make their (MSs) products more useful.  MS is notorious for underestimating what their users want.

Remember:
        "No one will ever need more than 640K"
        "No one needs more than a 10Mb drive"
        "20 Gb is plenty for the system partition"
    None of which lasted very long.

I would imagine that a lot of the 'not supported' will change.  They pretty much have to.

Thank for your help.  I will try the re-install tomorrow.  Let you know if it helps.

In the meantime, is there anywhere I can find out more about the certificate??  Is is part of Server 2003??  Or part of WHS??  etc.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 12:57 AM
  • I tried doing a re-installation this morning and it still fails to RDC.

As long as it does not appear to cause a problem I can do as you suggested and ignore it.

But, I will eventually want to access the WHS web page and I don't know what effect the bad certificate will have on that.

What upsets me the most is my inablility to find any information on the subject.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:10 PM
  • I get the same error message if I do a remote logon using my internet browser, in my local network. When I logon from a real remote location, I don't see the message. I don't see the message if I use remote desktop or the WHS console. So I just ignored the error message when I login my local network.

Are you trying to use the remote logon rather than the WHS console or remote desktop?

Monday, November 9, 2009 5:25 PM
  • I have two servers; 'Server' (old) and 'Server1' (new).  Server1 is being setup to replace Server.  I still have a monitor and keyboard attached to the server.

The laptop and desktop are set to connect to Server via the console, so the only way to connect to Server1 is either through the keyboard and monitor or via RDC.

From the keyboard I can login with no problem.

From my laptop or desktop, using Remote Desktop Connection, I get the error message.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:02 PM
  • run the connector software on the client computer, after that you won't get the certificate errors when RDC'ing to the server

should be able to install connector software by browsing to http://server_name:55000
    Friday, December 18, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Hi,

> In WHS v1, there was a fixed size of 20GB for the System Partition.  I had to jump through all kinds of hoops in order to get it larger.

I am trying to do this myself. Can you give me a pointer on this?

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:47 PM