WHS v2 Public Beta Migration to Retail RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I'm hoping someone out there can help me, I have done a fair bit of searching around this morning but can’t quite find a definitive answer.

I have not run a version of WHS previously, I have always just kept my storage in a simple raid 5 array made up of 4 x 640gb drives giving me around 1.8tb of space.

I have acquired new hardware and a large amount of storage space 3 x 2TB drives and am looking to build this new server and am very very interested in using WHSv2. 

My question is as follows, if I install the currently available public beta, will I be able to simply upgrade this to retail once it is released in a few month’s time? Once i build the server I seriously doubt i will easily be able to migrate all the data for a fresh install.

Alternately can the WHS OS be set up on its own drive(I was planning on using a 500gb drive with the 3 x 2TB for storage) and do a fresh install at retail release without losing any of the files stored on the 3 x 2TB drives.

Last question, I read in a forum post that using a raid array is not advisable when using WHSv2, but couldn’t find any more definitive information as to why and what will happen? does anyone out there have some more information on this? I guess having a raid setup may be redundant with WHS build in redundancy anyway but would just like some clearer information.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:52 AM

Answers

• Migrating from the beta to RTM is very possibly going to require flattening your server, i.e. no migration path will be provided by Microsoft. It will pretty certainly not be a simple "upgrade in place". You should, in any case, assume that you may need to do this at any moment, since it is, after all, a beta product and thus can be assumed to have bugs both large and small.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:46 AM

All replies

•  

I read in a forum post that using a raid array is not advisable when using WHSv2, but couldn’t find any more definitive information as to why and what will happen? 

Raid is not supported in any version of WHS.  Does not mean it will not work, but, you're on your own to resolve any issues.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Migrating from the beta to RTM is very possibly going to require flattening your server, i.e. no migration path will be provided by Microsoft. It will pretty certainly not be a simple "upgrade in place". You should, in any case, assume that you may need to do this at any moment, since it is, after all, a beta product and thus can be assumed to have bugs both large and small.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated.

Do we have any more of a clear idea when WHS v2 will go RTM or is that still up in the air?

And do you know if this from my previous post will be possible?

"Alternately can the WHS OS be set up on its own drive(I was planning on using a 500gb drive with the 3 x 2TB for storage) and do a fresh install at retail release without losing any of the files stored on the 3 x 2TB drives."

Thanks again

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Last I've heard was possibly by the end of the year. Microsoft has been pretty tight-lipped on this one

There is a chance that if the storage system doesn't change, you could theoretically attach the old disks from the RC to the RTM and connect them. But given the bugs in the RC so far, I'm guessing they may change the storage system again so that isn't possible.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:53 PM
  • When will if RTM? Only Microsoft can answer that with authority, and they ain't talkin'. :) Everything else is either speculation by people who don't know the answer, or violation of someone's NDA.

My own best guess is RTM near the end of the year, with general availability sometime thereafter. (Market forces make it extremely desirable to RTM before the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show; I just hope there's no "rush to market" going on behind the scenes.) My guess is based on the timeline for V1, which was released for public beta in January of 2007 and reached RTM around the end of August.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Thanks for all your help guys, I have decided I will carry on with my current raid set up for the next couple of months for my production storage and install the beta of Vail on my new server without the actual storage drives mainly so I can start getting myself acquainted with how the whole thing works and hangs together, and who knows maybe I also be of some help to the beta testing process.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:46 AM
  • So what happens to those of us a server that has 5 > 750GB drives but no two of them are the same size let alone the same make/model.

What do I do for JBOD/RAID and folder duplication across spindles?

Jorgie

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:17 PM
  • This is not a use case that the Fail update of Vail considers valid. They said we'll all go buy cheap new drives since that's what OEM and customer feedback told them was best.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:58 AM
  • So what happens to those of us a server that has 5 > 750GB drives but no two of them are the same size let alone the same make/model.

What do I do for JBOD/RAID and folder duplication across spindles?

There are options for data protection, some of which are more reasonable now without DE. Probably the best way to protect your data is to back it up regularly. (This is true even if duplicaiton was still available.) Vail includes Windows Server 2008 Server Backup functionality, which allows for automatic backups (every 12 hours by default) to external storage which you can then take off-site regularly. I say this is "the best way" because it offers the most protection from events other than single drive failure, such as OS corruption, user error, fire, flood, etc.

Options for seamless growth of server storage? Not much here, unfortunately. I don't expect that growing server storage as you run out of space will be anything close to seamless in the beta Microsoft has promised for next month.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:23 PM