What files should I back-up for proper discovery of Vista/Xp? ed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A brief introduction: I'm Marc Zegers. I live in Holland and I'm 16 years old. I've installed Windows Home Server since the begin of April on a special-made server. WHS is a good programm, and I've had a lot help from your forums. A lot of questions I had, have already been answered, but now I've got a few questions, which I can't find the answers for.

One of my questions is:

-Which files are important to back-up, for a good recovery of Vista or XP. If I don't add any maps while configurating a back-up, the size of the back-up will be 80GB. That's a bit too much, so I'd like to reduce it.
    -Could someone tell me, how to configure and connect to a computer with Remotly Desktop, from an Internet Browser? I'm using IE8 and Firefox 3.0.10 but neither of them is showing a tab like Remote Desktop (don't know the exact name).  I can't find it if I logon the web-adress on the server. Only the map Shared Files is avaidable.

Well, I hope you can answer my question. I would be pleased if you do.

Kind regards,

Marc

ps. I'm still learning English, so please ignore the grammar issues.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:50 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server is designed to back up, and restore, disk images, rather than individual folders. Partly this is because it's easier for a non-technical user to understand, and partly it's because identifying exactly what must be backed up to get a fully functional computer back after a restore operation is completely dependent on your own software installation practices. So the recommendation is to perform full backups. You'll find that backing up multiple computers will take up less disk space than you think, though; Windows Home Server uses a concept similar to Single Instance Storage to only keep one copy of any given cluster of data, no matter how many PCs, files, or backups that cluster is found in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Marc Zegers Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:59 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Ok, sounds interesting. Can you tell me also, what kind of back-up the program make? Is it a quick copy (only the files which changed) or will it back-up all the files every day?

Kind of both. :) It does a complete backup every night, but if a file hasn't changed since the last backup, it doesn't backup the file again.  Instead, it creates a "pointer" to the backup of the file (which was previously backed up).
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:04 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is designed to back up, and restore, disk images, rather than individual folders. Partly this is because it's easier for a non-technical user to understand, and partly it's because identifying exactly what must be backed up to get a fully functional computer back after a restore operation is completely dependent on your own software installation practices. So the recommendation is to perform full backups. You'll find that backing up multiple computers will take up less disk space than you think, though; Windows Home Server uses a concept similar to Single Instance Storage to only keep one copy of any given cluster of data, no matter how many PCs, files, or backups that cluster is found in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Ok, sounds interesting. Can you tell me also, what kind of back-up the program make? Is it a quick copy (only the files which changed) or will it back-up all the files every day?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Hello,

A brief introduction: I'm Marc Zegers. I live in Holland and I'm 16 years old. I've installed Windows Home Server since the begin of April on a special-made server. WHS is a good programm, and I've had a lot help from your forums. A lot of questions I had, have already been answered, but now I've got a few questions, which I can't find the answers for.

One of my questions is:

-Which files are important to back-up, for a good recovery of Vista or XP. If I don't add any maps while configurating a back-up, the size of the back-up will be 80GB. That's a bit too much, so I'd like to reduce it.
    -Could someone tell me, how to configure and connect to a computer with Remotly Desktop, from an Internet Browser? I'm using IE8 and Firefox 3.0.10 but neither of them is showing a tab like Remote Desktop (don't know the exact name).  I can't find it if I logon the web-adress on the server. Only the map Shared Files is avaidable.

After you login to your server, there should be a tab called Computers.  It should work with IE8.  You might try logging into your web site from a different computer (and perhaps try IE7 as well).

Well, I hope you can answer my question. I would be pleased if you do.

Kind regards,

Marc

ps. I'm still learning English, so please ignore the grammar issues.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:01 AM

Kind of both. :) It does a complete backup every night, but if a file hasn't changed since the last backup, it doesn't backup the file again.  Instead, it creates a "pointer" to the backup of the file (which was previously backed up).
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your answers. I've set-up a full back-up yesterday morning. It took 18 hours to back-up 80gb, but I think it's worth it. Just had a second back-up and it only took 15 minutes, so that's fine.

Thanks for convincing me that a full back-up is necessary!

Kind regards,

Marc Zegers
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:58 PM