N:N retrieve: "An unexpected error occurred" RRS feed

• Question

• I am using CRM 2011, on premises.

We have an N:N (many to many) relationship between ContractDetail and a custom entity, called Dependent. I set up a Query to retrieve all the Dependents associated with a given ContractDetail, whose ID (contractdetailid=enrollmentRecord.Id) I know. I used the code at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xrm.sdk.messages.retrievemultiplerequest.aspx

When the RetrieveMultiple is executed it errors with "An unexpected error has occurred" (very helpful, right?). The inner exception is null. I am reviewed for spelling errors, etc. but I haven't pinpointed the problem.

Here's my code - can someone point out the error of my ways?

QueryExpression qeDep = new QueryExpression()
      {
         EntityName = new_dependent.EntityLogicalName,
         ColumnSet = new ColumnSet("new_dependentid", "new_lastname", "new_firstname", 
    "new_relationship"), LinkEntities = { new LinkEntity { LinkFromEntityName = new_dependent.EntityLogicalName, LinkFromAttributeName = "new_dependentid", LinkToEntityName = ContractDetail.EntityLogicalName, LinkCriteria = new FilterExpression { FilterOperator = LogicalOperator.And, Conditions = { new ConditionExpression { AttributeName = "contractdetailid", Operator = ConditionOperator.Equal, Values = {enrollmentRecord.Id} } } } } } }; try { EntityCollection dependents = _service.RetrieveMultiple(qeDep); } catch (Exception ex) { Console.WriteLine("dependent retrieve multiple failed: " + ex); }

Friday, May 31, 2013 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try the below mentioned  code

string linkFromEntityName = "entity1";
    QueryExpression query = new QueryExpression(linkFromEntityName);
    LinkEntity linkEntity1 = new LinkEntity(linkFromEntityName, relationShipName, entity1id, entity1id, JoinOperator.Inner);
    LinkEntity linkEntity2 = new LinkEntity(relationShipName, "entity2", entity2id, entity2id, JoinOperator.Inner);
    linkEntity1.LinkEntities.Add(linkEntity2);
    query.LinkEntities.Add(linkEntity1);
    linkEntity2.LinkCriteria = new FilterExpression();
    linkEntity2.LinkCriteria.AddCondition(new ConditionExpression( entity2id, ConditionOperator.Equal, new Guid("BF0191B6-CEBC-E011-B354-001C23FA0E1C")));
    EntityCollection coll = service.RetrieveMultiple(query);

Thanks and Regards. Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

My Blog

• Marked as answer by MeProgrammer Friday, May 31, 2013 7:17 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 6:39 PM
  • You should define your ColumnSet on the QueryExpression, not the LinkEntity.

query.ColumnSet = new ColumnSet("new_dependentid","new_lastname", "new_firstname","new_relationship");

Steve Sämmang, Vienna, Austria
    Blog: xrm.io Website: simplic.at

• Marked as answer by MeProgrammer Friday, May 31, 2013 8:19 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the below mentioned  code

string linkFromEntityName = "entity1";
    LinkEntity linkEntity1 = new LinkEntity(linkFromEntityName, relationShipName, entity1id, entity1id, JoinOperator.Inner);
    LinkEntity linkEntity2 = new LinkEntity(relationShipName, "entity2", entity2id, entity2id, JoinOperator.Inner);
    linkEntity2.LinkCriteria.AddCondition(new ConditionExpression( entity2id, ConditionOperator.Equal, new Guid("BF0191B6-CEBC-E011-B354-001C23FA0E1C")));
    EntityCollection coll = service.RetrieveMultiple(query);

Thanks and Regards. Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

My Blog

• Marked as answer by MeProgrammer Friday, May 31, 2013 7:17 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Thanks you for responding. What's "relationShipName"?
    Friday, May 31, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

the relationship name is the name of the N:N entity, something like "new_contract_new_dependent". You define it when you create the N:N relationship in your solution.

You can also try to use the following code. If you want to use Linq. I find it a little bit easier to read an maintain.

try {
            using(OrganizationServiceContext osc = new OrganizationServiceContext(_service)) {
              var dependents = from   c in osc.CreateQuery("new_contract_new_dependent") //Name of NN Scheme
                               join   d in osc.CreateQuery("new_dependent")
                               on     c.GetAttributeValue<Guid>("new_dependentid") equals d.GetAttributeValue<Guid>("new_dependentid")
                               where  c.GetAttributeValue<Guid>("contractdetailid") == enrollmentRecord.Id
                               select new {
                                 DepententID = d.GetAttributeValue<Guid>("new_dependentid"),
                                 LastName = d.GetAttributeValue<string>("new_lastname"),
                                 FirstName = d.GetAttributeValue<string>("new_firstname"),
                                 RelationShip = d.GetAttributeValue<object>("new_relationship") // 
                               };

foreach(var dependent in dependents) {
                Console.WriteLine(dependent.DepententID.ToString());
              }
            }
          }
          catch(Exception ex) {
             Console.WriteLine("dependent retrieve multiple failed: " + ex);
          }

But you have to check 2 things: 

1. "new_contract_new_dependent" is the correct scheme name (relationship name)

2.  I don't know the type of new_relationship

Regards,

Steve

Steve Sämmang
    , Vienna, Austria

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:05 PM
  • The name of the n:n relationship.

Goto customization >> customse the system >> entities >> find ContractDetail entity expand it >> click on n:n relationship >> find the relation with custom entity that you currently working with then double click on it. You will see something like below.

My Blog

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Abhi, thank you - that did the trick. But can you explain to me what I did wrong in my original code?

And how can I retrieve more fields than just the id?

Edit:

Ahh. Now I've gone through it and find that that code returned the intersect entity - a step half-way to what I need. What's the best way to actually retrieve the new_dependent records?
    Friday, May 31, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Thank you for replying, Steve, and thanks for the definition. For the moment I am sticking with Query Expression, although I used LINQ elsewhere in my program.
    Friday, May 31, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Please post the exact code what you are using now.

My Blog

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:21 PM
  • String linkFromEntityName = "new_dependent";
    LinkEntity linkEntity1 = new LinkEntity(linkFromEntityName, "new_contractdetail_new_dependent", "new_dependentid", "new_dependentid", JoinOperator.Inner);
    LinkEntity linkEntity2 = new LinkEntity("new_contractdetail_new_dependent", ContractDetail.EntityLogicalName, "contractdetailid", "contractdetailid", JoinOperator.Inner);
    linkEntity2.LinkCriteria.AddCondition(new ConditionExpression("contractdetailid", ConditionOperator.Equal, new Guid(enrollmentRecord.Id.ToString())));

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:32 PM
  • If I am not wrong then the only difference I make out is the LinkFromEntityName = "new_dependent" and earlier you are using the new_dependent.EntityLogicalName.

Please try this out to confirm.

My Blog

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Yes, I changed the first line to
    StringlinkFromEntityName = new_dependent.EntityLogicalName;

and 2 dependent records were returned. So, much progress! Thank you. But all I see is the ids for each.

If I want to return more than just the Id, can I code:
    linkEntity1.Columns.AddColumns(...) ? Or am I adding the columns to the wrong level?

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:53 PM
  • I did

linkEntity1.Columns.AddColumns("new_lastname");

and the error is:

'ce_contractdetail_ce_dependent' entity doesn't contain attribute with Name = 'new_lastname'.

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:02 PM
  • You should define your ColumnSet on the QueryExpression, not the LinkEntity.

query.ColumnSet = new ColumnSet("new_dependentid","new_lastname", "new_firstname","new_relationship");

• Marked as answer by MeProgrammer Friday, May 31, 2013 8:19 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 8:14 PM
  • please use

query.ColumnSet.AllColumns = true;

or

query.ColumnSet.AddColumns("new_lastname");

My Blog

• Edited by Crm.Abhi Friday, May 31, 2013 8:21 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Thanks, Steve!  That worked perfectly. I appreciate the time and assistance you offered.
    Friday, May 31, 2013 8:20 PM
  • No problem. You're welcome.

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:26 PM