Unable to backup computer after restoring to a new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive recently died in my computer. I bought a new (larger) hard drive and installed it. I restored a my latest backup (after much pain, as chronicled in other forum posts) from my WHS. However, now when I attempt to perform a backup, I get the message:

"The backup failed because the volume is currently missing."

Figuring I have to tell it about the new drive, I log into the WHS Console, select my computer and click Configure Backup. After the long "collecting information" wait, I get the error:

"The computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive."

This is while logged into the WHS Console from the target computer, so that should prove the computer is on, and able to talk to the server via the network.

I've tried re-installing the connector software, but I get the same results.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:00 AM

Answers

• You can try to uninstall the Connector Software and delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server in the client registry (and reboot).

If this fails, you might have to rename the client and/or change the SID of the client PC.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:08 PM

All replies

• You can try to uninstall the Connector Software and delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server in the client registry (and reboot).

If this fails, you might have to rename the client and/or change the SID of the client PC.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Uninstalling and deleting the registry key did it. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:05 AM