Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I just plugged in the new Western Digital external drive, and tried to do the backup.  OneCare formatted the drive and ran something called NTFS.  Then it said it could not do the backup because it could not find the backup device.  What do I do now?

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 1:06 AM

Answers

• I just found your post in the Off Topic folder, so moved it to the Backup folder. Your question is not off topic.

OneCare didn't format the drive, it recommended that you format it to NTFS for better security. Now that you've done that, can you access the drive from Windows Explorer?

Assuming that you can, and can copy a file to the drive and then delete the copied file from the drive, I recommend that you reset your backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If that doesn't help, please contact OneCare support -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:51 PM