Windows vista liscense unathorized change and more. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a compaq laptop purchased from Best Buy with vista home basic on a dedicated partition.  No cd.  The computer's about a year old.  After windows did an automatic update today, I also got the limited access, windows not genuine, unauthorized license change bs.  Here's the "more", I tried running the diagnostic program through internet explorer since that's the only program available and it came up with a "backup.exe' error.  Since that program's not available, I started in safe mode, used cmd.exe to restore to an earlier point (yesterday 10:00pm) and started windows normally.  Now that I'm in normal mode, I checked the performance monitor and there are only a few minor errors, mostly unplugging my memory stick without stoping it first.  There wasn't any software notices indicated.  Further, I went to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System and found the following windows activation information:

Windows is actived

Product ID: XXX

I used XXX to keep it a secret. Why? I don't know since it's a different number than the one printed on the halogramed license on the bottom of my machine.   The XXX contains an "-OEM-"; the sticker on my machine doesn't.  I have re-registered windows, got a confirmation email from you, and turned off windows updater. I haven't added any software in month's and the only files I've deleted in the last week were those stupid online services files because my antivirus (Kaspersky) kept saying vonage was a trogan. 

To make matters worse, hp's website's only advice is to be sure you have recovery disks made before updating.

This is the second time an automatic update from you has shredded my computer and made my life hell.  I need to know:

Do I change the product id number to the one on the sticker?  What's up with the two different numbers?

How do I stop this from happening again?

Because I paid for all the functionality of your software, will your software ever be fully functional?

You have my email.  Contact me through that if you need furthur information or if I can help in anyway.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:25 AM

Answers

• Hello David,

To your question regarding Product Keys and Product IDs. A computer built by a large manufacturer that comes with Vista pre-installed comes with two (2) product keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key come in Vista when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key  (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and see the special instructions and Activates itself. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side of your computer. It's a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key does require activation, but you must Activate by Phone.

A Product ID is Not a Product Key. Product Keys are used to install and unlock software. A Product ID is generated after the software is installed. One of the main reasons for a Product ID (PID) is that unlike a Product Key, a PID can be displayed in public without fear of compromising your Product key. In addition, by looking at a PID, Microsoft support can still gain information about your Windows and the Product key that it was generated from.

As for your other issue, there is no known problem with any of the Windows Updates that would cause this kind of issue. So without a known issue or a Diagnostic Report generated while your Vista is experiencing the issue, I have no way of knowing what the problem is or how it could be resolved.

Resources that may be of use:

You can find the Windows Update Solution Center and no cost support at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

You can receive no cost WGA Support at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029  

And additional support option can be found at http://support.microsoft.com

Very sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:40 PM