Installation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In a brand new system (Intel dou Core 4500, 2GB RAM, 500 GB SATA, DVD AOPEN) I'm trying to load WHS.

I have OEM Preinstallation Kit DVD and 2 more that came with the package.

The MS WHS OEM Preinstallation Kit User's Guide (P. 12) requires to install WHS from DVD.

Question #1: Is the installation DVD the one marked: OEM Installation DVD?

Question #2: If question #1 is correct. I'm having problems, after POST the the CRT shows "Boot from CD/DVD: " i press the enter key i can hear the DVD starting for a few second then nothing happens.

I read in some place that it takes long time to load WHS, I have waited 2 hours and all is quiet (no HD, and no DVD activity) 

Any help/suggestion will be much appreciated

Thanks,

BTW I tried to install XP and it started to install normally

I

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:25 PM

Answers

• Problem Solved!

It was my fault I was trying to install WHS from the wrong DVD; “OEM Preinstallation Kit”

The correct DVD is “Windows Home Server” (with Hologram)

I found it under a box (I wonder who put it there) J

Thanks

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, the OEM Installation DVD is the one required. You do realise that you probably need extra drivers for your SATA drive. These drivers need to be installed both during the initial server 2003 graphical install and at the beginning of the text mode, where it will prompt you to "Press F6 to load additional storage drivers", any drivers that might be required, should be Server 2003 versions, if at all possible. Also, you have ensured that your BIOS is set to boot from the DVD first. 

Colin

Friday, February 8, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for your reply. Yes i have the BIOS set to boot from DVD first. I installed an IDE HD (was previlously NTFS formated) to eliminate the SATA question; still no change, it will not boot. Not sure about drivers, the Mother Board came with a DVD but, the drivers on the DVD (MoBo) require that an Operating System to be loaded first.

Should I install XP first, then the Mother Board drivers and then try to load WHS? If if do so, should the HD be formated in FAT32 instead of NTFS?

Again thanks a lot for your help

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Problem Solved!

It was my fault I was trying to install WHS from the wrong DVD; “OEM Preinstallation Kit”

The correct DVD is “Windows Home Server” (with Hologram)

I found it under a box (I wonder who put it there) J

Thanks

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:04 PM