New Motherboard and CPU - same drives - will it work RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to replace my server motherboard and CPU. Memory will increase as well. Will I be able to just attach my current server hard drives with their functioning Home Server OS and data files to the new board and expect everything to work as it does now. Also how will this effect Activation?

GW
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:04 PM

Answers

• gwheelo said:

I am planning to replace my server motherboard and CPU. Memory will increase as well. Will I be able to just attach my current server hard drives with their functioning Home Server OS and data files to the new board and expect everything to work as it does now. Also how will this effect Activation?

Hi,
    it's all a matter of luck. You can help the luck, if you stay in the same processor and chipset family to avoid the need for a different HAL and other mass storage drivers, which are the main reason, why a transfered system may not boot.
    The primary drive should be connected to the very first connector, and if it is a SATA disk, you may have to compare the settings for the SATA controller in Bios (maybe it was set to IDE compatibility mode before, so this should be done again).

If the transfer ends in a bluescreen anyway, you may have to perform a server reinstallation - which makes you keep the data and backups, but loose the user accounts, add-ins and other customizations.

Only in case you don't get offered a server reinstallation (also not, if you provide the SATA drivers, if necessary) the big work begins.
    Product activation will usually kick in, but I had no problems with reactivating even after a 3rd mainboard change and some necessary reinstalls.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:02 AM