Bug found after apply Microsoft Caracas Timezone RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure if this is the right place to post this message, however I have not found any place to send this bug to the Windows Mobile 6 team, so I will write here and please let me know your thoughts. Also I have not find any update for this problem.

Bug Report:

Title:  Notes application does not launch after apply Microsoft Caracas Timezone
    Environment:  HTC Touch Windows Mobile 6 Professional CE OS 5.2.1620 (build 18125.0.4.2)

Processor: OMAP850-201MHZ

Memory: 107.71 MB

Expansion Slot: In use

[Repro]
    1.  Install Microsoft Caracas Timezone (NewCaracasTZWM6.PPC.CAB - KB944326)
    2.  Press Start-Programs-Notes

[Results]
    When step 2 is executed, nothing happens.  The device just stays on the Programs Menu screen.  I am still able to use the device and launch all others applications, but for some reason Notes will not launch. And if you use File Manager to lauch the application it will not work neither

[Expect]
    In step 2, I expect Notes to launch.

[Notes]
    If you uninstall the Microsoft Caracas Timezone then the Notes application start working again, but you are not able to change time, you get and error said "No program memory available. Tap Start > Setting > System tab > Memory, stop programs that did not automatically stop, and try again" until you install again the timezone patch then you are able to change the time but not to use Notes application.

BTW, Thanks to Windows Mobile Team Blog's post to give me the template for report this bug.

Eduardo Iturbe

Caracas, Venezuela

South America

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:05 PM

Answers

• Okay, Eduardo...

1. Notes.exe cannot execute. to reinstall can be answer but I still cannot find out where to download this and system files cannot be copied or transferred by File Explorer. But perhaps you can check another two areas first.
       (a) go to any previously created Note document in your device, and tap on it to see whether it can open.. If it can, it means that a working notes.exe is hidden somewhere.
      (b) Go to My Device\My Documents\Templates and check whether Blank Note.pwi is present. Because without this template file, then notes.exe cannot open files as well. If missing, then try to recreate this template file. Open any existing Notes file based on Blank Note, make a copy & delete all content, rename Blank Note.pwi and paste onto the above Templates file, and try again.

2.Handwriting option is available if Transcriber option is available in SIP. Check at Settings > Input.. ( Should be available since it is available in your Notes Mobile.
    Once available, it will be available in Word Mobile as well as One Word Mobile.
    Word Mobile has more features than Notes, but Notes itself is faster and suitable for simple note taking.
    One Note allows user to insert photos, video, sound recordings easily and when synced in conjunction with One Note 2007 in a PC will give it very enhanced project management, note taking and archiving/search capabilities.
    Word Mobile is part of Office Mobile suite and should be available in your winmo device or you can add on here...
                  (  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/software-office-mobile.mspx )
    One Note Mobile is distributed inside One Note 2007 ( direct install  after connecting PC to device )
                  (  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/FX100487701033.aspx )

3. If uninstalling Caracas Time Zone "frees up" your notes.exe..  You could try to do just that and upon connecting pc to device, use pc file explorer to copy/sync  these working "Notes.exe" and "
    My Device\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Notes.lnk "to pc and later on copy back  to device... If File Explorer do not want to cooperate with system files, then try Total Commander...
                  (  http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm  )

So much for now, and proceed carefully ( preferably with full backup )
    • Marked as answer by WMTA3 Monday, May 11, 2009 9:34 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:16 AM
  • I've found a workaround for "program memory" error.

Time zone update for Caracas has to be uninstalled as I need notes running on my device.

1. Before uninstalling time zone update for Caracas, change time zone to a different one (Bogota for example)
    2. Uninstall time zone update for Caracas and restart
    3. Change Time Zone to "old" Caracas/La Paz (-04:00) and re-adjust time
    4. To avoid time shifting on appointments time zone update for Caracas should be removed from PC  (I didn't tried this yet)
    5. Wait until a hot fix is released (jajaja)

Now I'm able to change time settings and open notes without problems, let's see what happens when synchronizing device with my computer.

Regards.

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:26 PM

All replies

• Is there no comment on this bug?

Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Ecuador582,

From what you have described, it looks as if the Program,
    Microsoft Caracas Timezone,  has somehow "deleted" the shortcut of Notes.exe

If this is the case, perhaps you can try to look for "Notes.exe" using File Explorer, and this file should be located in the  directory of My Device\Windows with the file path My Device\Windows\Notes.exe ( Now, if Notes.exe is not available, then you would have to reinstall Notes from Microsoft )

You can now use File explorer to copy this file and then head for My Device\Windows\Start Menu\Programs where you would find the entire list of .lnk files that appear. Just paste shortcut here and you get "Shortcut to Notes".  Finally, you just rename "Shortcut to Notes" to just "Notes", tap on name and you should get "Notes.lnk"

Now, go back to Start > Programs and click on notes icon...

Not sure whether it works, but worth giving it a shot...

Since you only have a problem with Notes, you could consider using Word Mobile or One Note that may be present in your device...

Regards...

Friday, October 3, 2008 10:47 AM
  • Surfer88,

I tried already and it didn't work, in fact if you go directly to Device/Windows and click on notes.exe the program do not start. The shortcut to Notes exist but do nothing. When you say "Reinstall Notes from Microsoft", how I can download a fresh version of notes.exe?

I have not One Note available in my phone, and I would like to use notes.exe due the handwriting option which I don't know if it available in word mobile.

The strange thing is, if I uninstall Microsoft Caracas Timezone patch, notes.exe start working, unfortunately uninstalling this patch is not an option because all the PCs which I use to syncronize my pda use this patch and appoinments get crazy using different time zones between PCs and phone.

Regards

Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Okay, Eduardo...

1. Notes.exe cannot execute. to reinstall can be answer but I still cannot find out where to download this and system files cannot be copied or transferred by File Explorer. But perhaps you can check another two areas first.
       (a) go to any previously created Note document in your device, and tap on it to see whether it can open.. If it can, it means that a working notes.exe is hidden somewhere.
      (b) Go to My Device\My Documents\Templates and check whether Blank Note.pwi is present. Because without this template file, then notes.exe cannot open files as well. If missing, then try to recreate this template file. Open any existing Notes file based on Blank Note, make a copy & delete all content, rename Blank Note.pwi and paste onto the above Templates file, and try again.

2.Handwriting option is available if Transcriber option is available in SIP. Check at Settings > Input.. ( Should be available since it is available in your Notes Mobile.
    Once available, it will be available in Word Mobile as well as One Word Mobile.
    Word Mobile has more features than Notes, but Notes itself is faster and suitable for simple note taking.
    One Note allows user to insert photos, video, sound recordings easily and when synced in conjunction with One Note 2007 in a PC will give it very enhanced project management, note taking and archiving/search capabilities.
    Word Mobile is part of Office Mobile suite and should be available in your winmo device or you can add on here...
                  (  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/software-office-mobile.mspx )
    One Note Mobile is distributed inside One Note 2007 ( direct install  after connecting PC to device )
                  (  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/FX100487701033.aspx )

3. If uninstalling Caracas Time Zone "frees up" your notes.exe..  You could try to do just that and upon connecting pc to device, use pc file explorer to copy/sync  these working "Notes.exe" and "
    My Device\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Notes.lnk "to pc and later on copy back  to device... If File Explorer do not want to cooperate with system files, then try Total Commander...
                  (  http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm  )

So much for now, and proceed carefully ( preferably with full backup )
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:16 AM
  • I've found a workaround for "program memory" error.

Time zone update for Caracas has to be uninstalled as I need notes running on my device.

1. Before uninstalling time zone update for Caracas, change time zone to a different one (Bogota for example)
    2. Uninstall time zone update for Caracas and restart
    3. Change Time Zone to "old" Caracas/La Paz (-04:00) and re-adjust time
    4. To avoid time shifting on appointments time zone update for Caracas should be removed from PC  (I didn't tried this yet)
    5. Wait until a hot fix is released (jajaja)

Now I'm able to change time settings and open notes without problems, let's see what happens when synchronizing device with my computer.

Regards.

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:26 PM