OneCare and Equipt RRS feed

• Question

• Will Microsoft add Equipt to my OneCare account and send an install cd to me?

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:01 PM

Answers

• No.

Microsoft Equipt is a subscription service that includes OneCare. There is not "upgrade" path that I am aware of. You would buy the CD and retail key in a store (or order online) and install and activate like you do with a OneCare subscription. I suspect that you will also be able to purchase it directly, as you can with OneCare, and download the suite, but no CD would be sent.

However, the press release - http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/jul08/07-02EquiptPR.mspx - only mentions the availability of Equipt at Circuit City.

-steve

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Yes, there's another thread in the General folder where we discussed that not offering it as an upgrade to existing OneCare subscribers was a potential missed opportunity. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:43 PM

All replies

• No.

Microsoft Equipt is a subscription service that includes OneCare. There is not "upgrade" path that I am aware of. You would buy the CD and retail key in a store (or order online) and install and activate like you do with a OneCare subscription. I suspect that you will also be able to purchase it directly, as you can with OneCare, and download the suite, but no CD would be sent.

However, the press release - http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/jul08/07-02EquiptPR.mspx - only mentions the availability of Equipt at Circuit City.

-steve

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Thank you and I hope they offer it directly to subscribers of OneCare. I have been a user since Beta...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Yes, there's another thread in the General folder where we discussed that not offering it as an upgrade to existing OneCare subscribers was a potential missed opportunity. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I have been trying and will continue to find a way to upgrade to Equipt.  I have been getting a response but nothing with a way to get it.  here is the first reply that I got.
    Dear James,

This is Eric from the Windows Live OneCare Technical Support team.

Thanks for your inquiry.

James, after inquiring our billing department, I would like to let you know that OneCare has been attached to the Equipt, and we need to purchase the whole package. Meanwhile, OneCare subscription in the Equipt cannot be used to renew the current OneCare subscription. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and effort.

If anything in my email is unclear, or if you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Eric

v-30ergo@mssupport.microsoft.com

Windows Live OneCare Technical Support

The second one is:

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service. My name is Rajorshi.I understand that you would like to upgrade your existing OneCare service with Microsoft Office Equipt service.

I regret to inform you that the option to upgrade your current service to Equipt is currently not available.

However, you contact Equipt support team by visiting the link: http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview.aspx?AssetID=HA102563551033&ns=qwzx10&lcid=1033

However, you can also visit the link https://home.microsoftequipt.com/site/html/default.aspx# to subscribe the service and contact customer support.

I again, sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused to you.

Have a great day.
     Sincerely,
     Rajorshi
    Microsoft Customer Service

If you try the links provided you have to sign in to contact customer support.  You cannot sign in because you do not have Equipt.  It tells you this after you log in.  I hope you guys are having better luck than I am.  Keep trying and maybe they will be nice to there customer base and not just the new ones.  They are starting to sound like the cell phone companies, who cares nothing about the customer base only in getting new customer.

Good Luck,

James

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:44 AM
  • James, I can confirm that at this time there is no upgrade path to Equipt from OneCare.

If you have a OneCare subscription that is active and then purchase Equipt, you actually have a OneCare subscription that can be used on up to 3 PCs for the remainder of the subscription period *and* you have a full Equipt subscription that can be used on different computers with OneCare. In essence, the OneCare subscription is not lost, nor is it merged into the Equipt subscription.

Clearly, there is an opportunity for Microsoft to offer an upgrade path, but that has not yet been offered.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:40 PM