Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows Home Server with RPC-HTTP Proxy RRS feed

• Question

• I installed and have been using Exchange 2003 SP2 perfectly on my HP MediaSmart 1TB. In October, however, the RPC-HTTP Proxy stopped working seemingly randomly. I have run every diagnostic and checked everything imaginable and found no problems except that it just doesn't work! Anyone else doing this and have this problem?
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:29 PM

Answers

• Steve, no offense intended but you are not going to get any answer here other than "Unsupported, don't do it." On the WHS side, it's probably a violation of the EULA to use your server as an Exchange Server (there's a clause about server roles), and what you want to do is just not in line with the Microsoft vision of WHS, which is as a simple, low/no maintenance and management server for the non-technical broadband-connected family. 

On the Exchange side, I would be shocked if the Exchange team would support it on WHS. Since the issue you originally posted about is an Exchange issue, you're slightly more likely to get help on that side of the fence, so that's where I've recommended you look. 

Bottom line: you have an Exchange issue, but there are no Exchange experts here, this is not an Exchange support forum, and what you're doing is far outside the realm of supported scenarios for WHS. I'm recommending the Exchange forums and newsgroups as your most likely source of a solution to your current problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:06 PM

All replies

• Given that Exchange is not supported on Windows Home Server, I would suggest that you might want to configure a dedicated mail server. You should do that anyway; Exchange is very resource hungry. :)
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I know, but I'm too cheap. Also, if I did that, would the WHS licensing not complain because there would be two servers on the domain? Or does it only compalin when it's added as an additional DC?
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Joining your server to a domain is unsupported and will cause it to malfunction. Running DCPROMO (required to make it function as a domain controller) is also unsupported, and is explicitly prohibited by the EULA. However, you can have a WHS computer on a domain, as long as you don't make it a member of the domain.

I'm going to go back to moving Exchange off your server. :)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:27 AM
  • And I didn't just win the lottery.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:08 AM
  • For problems with Exchange, you should try the Exchange newsgroups. You might also try the Exchange forums.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I use ALT-N MDaemon on my WHS and it works a treat - plus for up to ten users it is free :-)  You can download it and then use a dynamic DNS service to route mail to you ... very useful.  I work on a 20Mb Virgin Media connection in the UK and it's almost as effective as my MDaemon Pro license running on a dedicated server.  www.zensoftware.co.uk is the UK reseller or you can get it from www.alt-n.com

Note that I am not connected with MDaemon but have been using it for small scale projects for about 7 years.  I agree that Exchange could probably be too heavy and expensive and (since it's not supported on WHS) probably wouldn't be good for reliablity etc.

Nick
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I rely on the ability to use Exchange ActiveSync with Windows Mobile Devices.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Steve, no offense intended but you are not going to get any answer here other than "Unsupported, don't do it." On the WHS side, it's probably a violation of the EULA to use your server as an Exchange Server (there's a clause about server roles), and what you want to do is just not in line with the Microsoft vision of WHS, which is as a simple, low/no maintenance and management server for the non-technical broadband-connected family. 

On the Exchange side, I would be shocked if the Exchange team would support it on WHS. Since the issue you originally posted about is an Exchange issue, you're slightly more likely to get help on that side of the fence, so that's where I've recommended you look. 

Bottom line: you have an Exchange issue, but there are no Exchange experts here, this is not an Exchange support forum, and what you're doing is far outside the realm of supported scenarios for WHS. I'm recommending the Exchange forums and newsgroups as your most likely source of a solution to your current problem.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:06 PM
  • I realize that and have posted in the Exchange Forums. Thank you.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:37 PM