No Computers & Backup Tab - No backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I do not see the Computers and Backup tab on the console and can't backup any of the PCs or the WHS itself. The Home Server Console says:

Created at 2/18/2010 11:20:27 AM
    ***** Started at 2/18/2010 11:20:27 AM ***
    ***** Started at 2/18/2010 11:20:27 AM ***
    [1]100218.112032.7656: UI: Error: Unfinished DLL: HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll.  User chose to retry.
    [1]100218.112034.6250: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]100218.112034.7343: Error: Exception thrown
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070422): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {3AA6FAC6-558C-4A4A-A60A-AC40B048C393} failed due to the following error: 80070422.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Transport.TransportService..ctor()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HealthTransportSync..ctor(ChangeDelegate changeDelegate)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HealthHelpers.VerifyTransportSync(HealthTransportSync transportSync, ChangeDelegate changeDelegate)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.get_TransportSync()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.Health_DetailedView.RefreshState()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.Health_DetailedView..ctor(HealthControl parentControl)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.HealthControl..ctor(HomeServerTabExtender tabEx)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtenderByType(Type theType, Assembly a, String name, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)

[1]100218.112034.7343: Error: Problem with Home Server Console Tab DLL HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll while loading HomeServerTabExtender: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070422): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {3AA6FAC6-558C-4A4A-A60A-AC40B048C393} failed due to the following error: 80070422.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Transport.TransportService..ctor()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HealthTransportSync..ctor(ChangeDelegate changeDelegate)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HealthHelpers.VerifyTransportSync(HealthTransportSync transportSync, ChangeDelegate changeDelegate)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.get_TransportSync()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.Health_DetailedView.RefreshState()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.Health_DetailedView..ctor(HealthControl parentControl)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender.HealthControl..ctor(HomeServerTabExtender tabEx)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.HomeServerTabExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtenderByType(Type theType, Assembly a, String name, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)
    [1]100218.112035.2343: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]100218.112040.4218: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]100218.112054.5468: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]100218.112332.2656: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]100218.112413.3281: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]100218.112438.6875: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

Part of those errors have to do with the Console not starting correctly. I followed the thread about renaming the offending DLL and restarting the console. That fixes THAT problem (only once, as it turns out) but I don't think this is the problem with the backups. The key message appears to be "BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Craig

Friday, February 19, 2010 12:36 AM

All replies

• Have you recently installed or uninstalled anything on your server? is your server home-built or an OEM unit from e.g. HP?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 12:57 AM
  • Hi - Well, it never worked actually - I had the eval version installed and it was there. Then I reinstalled the OEM version on my own box and it wasn't there. I noticed there were some services with "backup" in the title that were not running but I don't know how many, if any, should be running.

Since the reinstall,  I did two installs, one was the "Disk Management" and the other was MS's "Toolkit" which I installed today to see what was going wrong but the Backup option was no longer operational.

Can I reinstall "in place" without losing the current data? I suspect the answer is "no" but I thought I'd ask. Any way to "repair" an installation?

Thanks for repling!
    Craig
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Hi - Well, it never worked actually - I had the eval version installed and it was there. Then I reinstalled the OEM version on my own box and it wasn't there. I noticed there were some services with "backup" in the title that were not running but I don't know how many, if any, should be running.

Since the reinstall,  I did two installs, one was the "Disk Management" and the other was MS's "Toolkit" which I installed today to see what was going wrong but the Backup option was no longer operational.

Can I reinstall "in place" without losing the current data? I suspect the answer is "no" but I thought I'd ask. Any way to "repair" an installation?

Thanks for repling!
    Craig
    Yes, you can do a Server Reinstallation.  It wipes the OS partition but leaves the data in tact.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Before reinstalling I would do a thorough chkdsk of your system drive - it is highly likely it's become corrupt if one the Console Pages failed to load correctly.
    --
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:34 AM