Moderator discourtesy and censorship #2

General discussion

• jjjjbbbb said:

What is the deal here?  This copy has ran since day 2 of download offering.  Things that have changed:  It is a practice of mine that I uses the same hard drive between two of my machines.  Is this a security thing for Windows 7 and Vista Ultimate, because both now give me the Illegal Copy statement.  If so how do I change it back, as both are legal copies.

This is the only thing that I can think of that could have caused this.  I have been able to do this since Windows 95.

JB

derosnec said
    :

Policies have changed.

jjjjbbbb said:

Does your reply state a yes to switching between machines is very well the problem?  Is this no longer allowed with Windows 7 and Vista?  Other programs like Adobe you just do a repair validation and go on.  Is there a repair system like this in Windows?

JB

derosnec said:

This post explains my understanding better.

Carey Frisch MVP said:

The Windows licensing agreement states you can install one (1) copy of Windows on one (1) computer.  Moving the hard drive that contains the Windows operating system to a different computer constitutes a second installation.  Windows was not designed to be switched back and forth to different computers.

derosnec said:

What constitutes uninstalling it?

Carey Frisch MVP said
    :

Reformatting the hard drive that contains the installed Windows operating system.

derosnec said:

Are we not permitted by EULA to maintain one spare copy?  On, say, a hard disk?

I read nothing in the EULAs (plural) about formatting anything.  I won't respond to this thread any further unless there is a reference to official documentation.

Carey Frisch MVP said:

Type WINVER in Windows 7's Search Programs and Files search box and the Microsoft Software License Terms link will appear.
    Under section 2. Installation and Use Rights, read:  a. One copy per computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer.
    That computer is the "licensed computer".

Also read section 10. Backup Copy. 

derosnec said:

Exactly.    "BACKUP COPY.  You may make one backup copy of the media.  You may use it only to reinstall the software."

Now let's find the definition of reinstall.  Reinstall it where?  But that's really a diversion from this discussion anyway.

More importantly, let's examine the definition of uninstall.

From Locked Windows 7 RC no longer a legal copy

Why was my final post deleted and the thread locked?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:23 PM

All replies

• Carey Frisch said:

Becaused the OP's original question was answered.  You then proceeded to hijack the thread with a totally different topic not even remotely related to the OP's original inquiry.
    Carey Frisch

derosnec said:

Carey, I answered his question twice.  Then you followed me with a contrived excuse for the problem he encountered.  He is merely swapping two drives between two computers.

You finally were cornered into citing the EULA, and cited Article 10 which you omitted.  Omitted.  That was no mistake. 

We have a  long history  of your taking pot-shots at my posts, just like this thread.  Then, as above, you accuse me of trolling and unprofessional conduct.  Ironic.

If your objective was to just put out a fire, you should have referred the OP to Customer Services and provided a telephone number.  That's all.

...And don't think I didn't notice that my first 3 posts were later deleted too.  Professionally done, by some standards.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:19 PM

• joelbX said:

From what I have heard, Win7 runs a lot faster than Vista does, but still can't top XP.

derosnec said:

CNET editors' review 07/31/2009

Performance
    Windows 7 feels faster than Windows XP and Vista, but it turns out that's not always the case--sometimes, it's the slowest out of the three operating systems.

(quoted from the charts near the bottom)

Question:  Why was my post just deleted from Locked  Wanting to know about Windows 7 . 

Answer:   Censored.

Monday, August 24, 2009 2:36 AM

•     dеrosnec has answered the question Physical drives drop off randomly in W7 RTM in the Windows 7 Miscellaneous Forum.
    Saved 6 hours and 50 minutes ago.

...but some moderator deleted it.  How come?  Just a mean spirited gesture, I guess.  Very professional.

Monday, August 24, 2009 2:07 PM

• joelbX said:

From what I have heard, Win7 runs a lot faster than Vista does, but still can't top XP.

derosnec said:

CNET editors' review 07/31/2009

Performance
    Windows 7 feels faster than Windows XP and Vista, but it turns out that's not always the case--sometimes, it's the slowest out of the three operating systems.

(quoted from the charts near the bottom)

Question:  Why was my post deleted from Locked  Wanting to know about Windows 7 . 

Answer:   Censored.

From  Moderator Discourtesy and Censorship #2

Maybe the mod's here prefer the ZDNET review over CNET's ?   It says the same thing.   Because it is the same thing.

This post was just submitted ZDNET review of W7.  I expect it will be deleted before I get done posting this.

So the remaining question is, how long will it take for the red-box to appear here?

Monday, August 24, 2009 3:50 PM

• Micrometeor said:

Nicsta,

If you've been receiving updates I would guess your copy is genuine, especially if you got it off the MS website and downloaded it from  there.  Even if you used a friends DVD to install it it would be genuine if it was only used before less than 3 times.  (Three maximum).

It sounds to me like it is more like you hit a phishing website!  Run all your antivirus software and keep an eye on any sensitive accounts like bank etc.

Don't believe all you see from you tube, facebook, etc.

Micrometeor

derosnec said:

There are probably hundreds of posts on this site about (in)validation issues.  I guess it's best to blame it on Anything But Microsoft.

For example Locked Windows 7 RC no longer a legal copy  and  this.

From  My copy of Windows 7RC suddleny is not genuine, any ideas?

I predict my post will be deleted again once it is spotted.  It appears some moderators promote misinformation and FUD.  Maybe even sponsor it.

Monday, August 24, 2009 4:51 PM

• derosnec said
    :

Chris, that seems like finger-pointing to me.  If my stuff won't work, I cannot upgrade to Win7.  That's all there is to it.

I just reposted this in RTM has similar problems as the RC7100.

It seems the strategy of this forum is to find a scoundrel to blame.

Monday, August 24, 2009 5:28 PM

• Banned again!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:06 PM
  • derosnec

I seen all you posts.

About censorship. If any people decide to open access to online forums for the benefit public and clients, they have all right to lay down the rules that say the behavior and conduct is permitted, when someone decide to post in that forums. These rules apply to all members who decide to join the forums. They enforce the rules much less than censorship. I have lived in country where it is censor what I am saying. You lucky man that you do not, but you take advantage the benefit of free speeches for you spoiled attention only.

The rules for all online forms, not just mirosoft. If you do not follow, you will get banded everywhere.

You want to know why a moderator to delete you message, but this is not the your right to know. Moderators can make the decision only on based of the rules.

tribute

Ferenc
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:14 AM

• Ferenc, thank you for sharing your perspective about censorship.

I will point out, however, that Microsoft is an American institution.  They should be especially conscious of the concern that I have expressed.

I am not alone in having made gestures of protest and dissent which are later seen out-of-context and characterized as abusive.  For example, that very term was applied to Microsoft's behavior in this terse scolding delivered by the EC:

"As the Commission indicated in June (see MEMO/09/272 ), the Commission was concerned that, should Microsoft's conduct prove to have been abusive..."

I hope you see the difference.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:13 PM

• Rikirat said:

Hey folks. It can be done!

I found information in an engineering article located at http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/07/delivering-a-quality-upgrade-experience.aspx

derosnec said:

Yes.  Also confirmed by MSFT even more recently and again referenced here.  Seems to contradict the opinion of the post marked Answer.

deleted from   LockedUpgrade Windows 7 over the RC version?

Of course, it was CF.MVP's post it proved wrong.  With published Microsoft information.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:26 PM
  • derosnec

I seen all you posts.

About censorship. If any people decide to open access to online forums for the benefit public and clients, they have all right to lay down the rules that say the behavior and conduct is permitted, when someone decide to post in that forums. These rules apply to all members who decide to join the forums. They enforce the rules much less than censorship. I have lived in country where it is censor what I am saying. You lucky man that you do not, but you take advantage the benefit of free speeches for you spoiled attention only.

The rules for all online forms, not just mirosoft. If you do not follow, you will get banded everywhere.

You want to know why a moderator to delete you message, but this is not the your right to know. Moderators can make the decision only on based of the rules.

tribute

Ferenc

Ferenc, thank you for sharing your perspective about censorship.  Even if we are somewhat in disagreement, you should be able to express that without being red-boxed by some sniping coward.  Sorry it happened.  It just stands as another example of the problem with this forum.  See?

I will point out, however, that Microsoft is an American institution.  They should be especially conscious of the concern that I have expressed.

I am not alone in having made gestures of protest and dissent which are later seen out-of-context and characterized as abusive.  For example, that very term was applied to Microsoft's behavior in this terse scolding delivered by the EC:

"As the Commission indicated in June (see MEMO/09/272 ), the Commission was concerned that, should Microsoft's conduct prove to have been abusive..."

I hope you see the difference.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:37 PM