May I copy files to shared folders by using the file system? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS running smoothly at home, however I use it for other things besides just the normal WHS stuff. I have installed SQL Server 2008 Express to support some home-developed web applications running on the WHS IIS. SQL Server is running with its own user account called SQLSERVER.

What I would like is to take backups of my databases to a WHS shared folder, and enable folder duplication. But I'm having some trouble with setting it up. I have made a scheduled job on WHS that runs the SQL command to backup the database, but what path should I use?

As I see it, I have 2 choices:
    1: Use a network path (\\localhost\Backup)
    2: Use a file system path (d:\shares\Backup)

Either way, SQLSERVER needs NTFS access to the file system folder (d:\shares\Backup). I can do this by either explicitly specifying that SQLSERVER has read/write permissions, or I can add SQLSERVER to the group WHS created that has read/write access to the folder. (In my case it's called RW_E) And that works. If I try to take a backup by using the file system path (d:\shares\Backup), it works. However, I'm not really comfortable with just copying files into a folder administered by WHS. The reason I'm a bit worried is because I don't know how the folder duplication works. I was wondering if maybe the file had to come through the network share to be duplicated correctly.

The other option was to let SQL Server use a network path (\\localhost\Backup). However, that requires (Besides NTFS permissions) network share permissions. I can change the permissions and give SQLSERVER read/write access, but sometimes WHS decides to reset the network share permissions, and thereby removing SQLSERVER's access permissions, which in turn results in failed backups.

So my question is, does anyone know if it's okay to copy files directly to WHS shared folders, by using the file system, and not by using the network share? Or can that break something? If it does, does anyone have any other ideas about how I can make use of the folder duplication in WHS to make backups of my SQL database?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
    René

Saturday, October 30, 2010 3:42 PM

Answers

• You should only access the shares via UNC path. Some users have had issues with things like the System wedge growing unexpectedly, the D: partition filling up, etc. when they access D:Shares.

You could try recreating the SQL Server account through the console, then granting it the additional permissions required to run as a service, etc. Windows Home Server shouldn't reset the additional permissions you grant to an account it creates.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:32 PM