Realtek RTL8139 & Wake on LAN (WOL) RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently dropped Windows Server 2003 (WS2003) on an old machine I have to test Windows Home Server (WHS). 

On the previous installation of WS2003 I was able to enable wake on LAN using the driver properties for the Realtek RTL8139 network adaptor and this has worked perfectly for a number of years.

Since installing WHS and updating the network card drivers to the most recent release this function no longer works correctly;

What happens is the WHS will enter standby OK, then upon network traffic, the first packet seems to wake the server OK but after that all network traffic no longer passes. Ping's into the server time out, and ping's out from the server result in a 'hardware error'.

I have tried three different versions of the RTL8139 drivers and none of which worked which I find confusing since WHS seems to be pretty much WS2003 underneith.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • Edited by Don Tan Friday, June 26, 2009 6:21 PM Fixing Thread Title bug
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:44 PM

All replies

• I've recently dropped Windows Server 2003 (WS2003) on an old machine I have to test Windows Home Server (WHS). 

On the previous installation of WS2003 I was able to enable wake on LAN using the driver properties for the Realtek RTL8139 network adaptor and this has worked perfectly for a number of years.

Since installing WHS and updating the network card drivers to the most recent release this function no longer works correctly;

What happens is the WHS will enter standby OK, then upon network traffic, the first packet seems to wake the server OK but after that all network traffic no longer passes. Ping's into the server time out, and ping's out from the server result in a 'hardware error'.

I have tried three different versions of the RTL8139 drivers and none of which worked which I find confusing since WHS seems to be pretty much WS2003 underneith.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

FYI, putting WHS in standby is unsupported.  Having said that, do you have any strange connectivity issues if you never put it in standby?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Sorry about the delay, I didn't receive an email advising me of a reply. 

Under normal circumstances, there are no strange connectivity issues and the server has been faultless in its operation. 

Thanks
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:29 PM