none
Overwrite file,but no file send to Recycle Bin RRS feed

• Question

•  

SyncToy run of eBarcode (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Backup\, X:\) completed at 2008/2/12 下午 03:05:45.
    SyncToy action was 'Contribute'.
    SyncToy options were:
     Active for run all
     All files included
     Do not check file contents
     Include hidden files
     Include system files
     Backup older files (send to Recycle Bin)
     All subfolders included
    SyncToy run took 00:00:00.
    Copied 12,079 bytes in 1 files in 00:00:00.
    Bytes per second 18,855.0, files per second 1.6.
    Avoided copying 70,499,803 bytes in 764 files that did not require action.
    Saved approximately 01:02:19 by not copying all files.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:42 AM

All replies

• Can I just confirm what you are asking?

Are you saying you had the option "Backup older files (send to Recycle Bin)" enabled but it did not sent these files to the recycle bin when being overwritten?

Also, please always tell us which version of SyncToy you are using.

Liam

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:05 PM
  • yes! as you say.

sorry! i'm using v1.4 and tried v2.0 Beta

Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:35 PM
  • Thanks, I have submitted your report to engineering.  We likely will not get a chance to take a look at this, this week but will try to respond later next week with some findings.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Can you tell us which way your folder pair is pointing?

For example, if it’s contributing from an external drive to a local drive, then not getting the stuff in the Recycle Bin this does seem like a bug. If it’s the other way round, it’s may be expected if X:\ in your scenario is not a local drive and hence has no Recycle Bin.

Thanks,

Liam

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:28 PM
  • This I believe happens when files are to large for the recycle bin.. I have just lost some files because of this. Syntoy should NOT delete any files that are to large for the recycle bin in my opion. Would be nice if you could specifie a directory to move these to maybe a compressed directory. in anycase I don't feel any file should ever be aloud to be deleted if it is to large for the recycle bin.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:32 PM
  • You have a good point about files that are too big.  I have made note of this.

Thanks,

Liam

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:10 PM
  •  Jeffery T. wrote:

This I believe happens when files are to large for the recycle bin.. I have just lost some files because of this. Syntoy should NOT delete any files that are to large for the recycle bin in my opion. Would be nice if you could specifie a directory to move these to maybe a compressed directory. in anycase I don't feel any file should ever be aloud to be deleted if it is to large for the recycle bin.

Files too large for the recycle bin. I think you are right about that.

Two days ago, I did the mistake to backup my C:/ drive on an external hard drive F:/ synchronizing with SyncToy 2.0 . I already had some pictures and another document saved on that drive with SyncToy. Before running SyncToy, I unchecked My pictures so that wouldn't be included in that backup.

The next morning, I couldn't see anything in the recycle bin. The day before, I had 12.5 GB of free space on my C:/ drive. I checked again that drive and there was only less than 1 GB left. The report for the clean up said I had a very large amount of files in my recycle bin. Went back to the recycle bin and clicked: empty the bin but that didn't give me extra space.

What can I do to undo everything? 

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I have the same problem, initially with SyncToy v 1.4, now with 2.0.100.0.

V. 1.4 used to copy overwritten files to the Recycle Bin OK.  
    I recently replaced the computer containing SyncToy, and it now deletes the overwritten files, instead of saving them to the Recycle Bin.  

The files are not very large, and there is plenty of room in both machines' Recycle Bins.  The option to 'Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin" is always selected.

I upgraded to version 2.0.100.0, without uninstalling v. 1.4, and the problem remains.

I'd very much appreciate help on this;  our office yesterday lost a whole day's Accounts when the file containing the work was overwritten by SyncToy v.1.4, and the original lost.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Re my post of an hour or so ago, I forgot to mention both machines run Windows XP SP3. The SyncToy machine has Professional, the other, Home.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:13 AM
  •  Hi -

I am not sure from your post whether you are working with SyncToy 1.4 or SyncToy 2.0. Assuming you upgraded to SyncToy 2.0 ( and all the folder pairs have been run at least once with SyncToy 2.0 to do a no-changes sync).

Can you create backup's of your work and then retry this scenario to check if overwritten files are not being sent to the Recycle Bin. We do see a ptoblem if Recycle Bin runs out of space or if the files are being deleted from an external drive.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Dear Deepa,

As I said, I upgraded to version 2.0.100.0, without uninstalling v. 1.4.
    In the end, I uninstalled v2, removed all synctoy files and folders, cleaned the registry and reinstalled v2.
    The problem now seems to be fixed.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:17 PM
  •  Hi -

I am not sure from your post whether you are working with SyncToy 1.4 or SyncToy 2.0. Assuming you upgraded to SyncToy 2.0 ( and all the folder pairs have been run at least once with SyncToy 2.0 to do a no-changes sync).

Can you create backup's of your work and then retry this scenario to check if overwritten files are not being sent to the Recycle Bin. We do see a ptoblem if Recycle Bin runs out of space or if the files are being deleted from an external drive.

Thanks
    Deepa

Hello Deepa, I just installed SyncToy 2.0 yesterday, and tried it. Pretty good, but my overwritten files do not get sent to the Recycle Bin. My OS is Windows XP SP2, but in Italian, where the Recycle Bin is called "Cestino". Is this why I don't see any overwritten files there? Does this mean I will always lose overwritten files permanently?
    Then today I installed the update NET Framework 3.5. When I opened Firefox, it said  the NET framework was not compatible with Firefox 3.5.2. What can I do?

thank you very much, z2cu
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Dear Deepa,

I just found out the problem I described above on 19 March 2009 has returned and we have lost data.

To recap, there are 2 machines:  'THINKPAD', a laptop with SyncToy 2.0 version 2.0.100.0 under WXP Pro SP3
    'CHRIS', a desktop with WXP Home SP3

'THINKPAD' has the left-hand folders
    'CHRIS'  has the right-hand folders.

The Synctoy folder pair settings are:

All files included
    Files excluded: *.ini
    Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin
    Do not check file contents
    All subfolders included
    Active for run all
    Exclude hidden/system files

Both machines are on an office ethernet LAN.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM:
    There is an Excel file on both machines, to be synchronized

If the THINKPAD version is updated
    Then the  CHRIS  version is updated say, 2 minutes later
    Then Synctoy is run

Result: Synctoy overwrites the version on THINKPAD and saves that older version in THINKPAD's Recycle Bin -no problems here.

BUT, if the process is reversed time-wise, i.e.:

The CHRIS  version is updated
    The THINKPAD  version is updated 2 minutes later
    Synctoy is run

Result: Synctoy overwrites the version on CHRIS, but DOES NOT save the older version in CHRIS's Recycle Bin.  

This is a problem as we are sometimes losing work done on CHRIS when both machines have worked on the same file.

So we need to have overwritten files on CHRIS copied to CHRIS's Recycle Bin.

How do we do this please?

Yours sincerely,
    David George
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Hi David -

Sorry to hear that your files are being lost. On CHRIS - what kind of drives are the files being stored on? Is it an external hard disk or internal ? NTFS/FAT?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Dear Deepa,

Thanks for your response.

It's CHRIS's internal C:\ drive.  It's 40GB, about half full, and the file system is NTFS.

Yours sincerely,
    David George
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Hi -

Can you check if your Recycle Bin is full? The problem  is that in the past we have seen that the API's we use for sending files to the Recycle bin sometimes seem to fail silently.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Dear Deepa,

Thanks again for your very quick response.

CHRIS's Recycle Bin contains 38 objects totaling 962 MB, or 2.4% of the 40 GB hard disk.

Regards,
    David George
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Dear Deepa,

Any progress in the last 10 days please?

Regards,
    David George
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:45 AM
  • Hi David -

The only other ideas I have involve checking the options on Recycle Bin to make sure that you do not have the "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin" somehow selected. The other thing to do is to manually delete the file on "CHRIS" ( after backing it up appropriately of course) and seeing if it turns up in the Recycle Bin. If it does not turn up in the Recycle Bin then this is outside the purview of SyncToy.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Dear Deepa,

CHRIS's Recycle Bin does not have the bypass option selected.
    Manually deleting the file on CHRIS causes it to go to the Recycle Bin.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling SyncToy, but before I do, is there any way to back up my Folder Pair settings so I don't have to set them up again after reinstalling?

Regards,
    David George
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Hi Deepa,

As a post-script to my last message, I'm still not being alerted to responses to this post, hence the delayed reply from me.

David.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hi David -
    We have no supported way of backing up folder pair information. But in general if you save and then copy back everything ( including hidden files ) under %localappdata%\microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 - it should restore all folder pairs ( assuming the data folders are left unchanged). On the other hand, I do not think reinstalling will fix theproblem. I know the Shell API we use to send files to the Recycle Bin fails silently sometimes and this seems to be one of those scenarios so it does look like this issue might not be fixed ro you :(

Thanks
    Deepa
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:35 AM