tif map file, autoassembly of image not working RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning all.

I am looking to stitch together an 8 image map file. I had hoped I could use something simple like irfanview, but even their forum recommended this new image composite editor.

So, I got it all installed, selected the images that I'd scanned as tiff's, and I received a message that it could not be "assembled" together.

So.... how do I do this manually?

I wasn't specifically looking to have it assembled for me, automatically, because I have to remove boundaries, check placement, etc..... The original map was apparently copied onto 8 pages. I scanned all of them as tiff's.

This will wind up in AutoCAD Map3d, so I'm good doing it manually (my original idea).

TYIA..... seriously so.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

• Well, looking at other posts, seeing the types of questions asked, the one's responded to, and the ones not responded to, it appears I am not going to get my questions answered.

The next update you guys do updates with this new, and impressive program, please set it up to allow for manual alignment, and scaling of images. I have tried a few variations by manipulating images in other programs such as MS Office Picture Mgr, Paint, and Irfanview. Even with them, I am extremely limited in what I can do.

In pict. mgr, I even tried scaling the one image that would not work, and all ICE did was to blow it up, which made it a completely disproportionate image once the stitching operation was performed.

One guy on Irfanview's forum told me about a 3rd party program that would allow me to place the images into a desktop publishing app, scale and align them, doing what I'd originally hoped to obtain. Using that- I finally got what I wanted.

Once I realized what this app was, I also realized we already have one in Publisher, with Office 2007. So, I even tried MS Publisher, and the image tools were not allowing me to do what I needed.

While I really do like the auto-stitch work ICE does-- some more tools to deal with the not so obvious would make it even better still.

As our budget, and normal type of work (I work in engineering. Telling the boss that I need a photoeditor just garners laughs, and more questions than this is worth) does not justify for Photoshop, or Illustrator, this as a "Freeware" helps where smaller outfits like mine can benefit.

• Marked as answer by SteveDB1 Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:51 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:27 PM

All replies

• Ok.... I went back and cropped my images.

Because I have 8 images, in two rows, I was able to get the first 4 that would make up the top row, and saved those as a new image. I.e., it works.... cool, actually. I am impressed.

I then did the lower row, but it only took 3 of those 4 images. I saved those 3 as the stitched image. I then tried to do the 8th image with the lower row group-- two images-- and it still did not stitch them, saying it did not connect. I've done it on paper, so I know it works. I did however notice that the 8th image is only a very small portion that would go to the right end. Should I crop that to the smallest reasonable size, and then try again?

Next, I then tried to stitch the upper and lower rows together, and it doesn't take-- same error message as earlier-- edges do not match.

Again, I did it via paper, so I know it does..... how picky is this tool?

I am working with basic image editing tools. I.e., no photoshop, no illustrator. Just Paint, Irfanview, Picture Mgr, and Microsoft Office Document Imaging.

TYIA.

I went back, cropped the 8th image, tried that-- still, same error-- does not line up. I then tried resizing it, thinking I could get it to recognize that it needs to be in the far upper right of the primary, now stitched image. NADA..... grrrr......

I then tried the structured panorama-- still does not work. I can get it to see the image, but it does not let me manually locate it, in relation to the already stitched image.

If I could do this manually, at least get it to recognize the placement-- I'd be good to go.

The 8th image should go to the far, upper right of the stitched. I suppose I'd describe it as a little tabbed piece at the right end.

your helps would be appreciated.

TYIA-- again.

• Edited by SteveDB1 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:57 PM update
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Well, looking at other posts, seeing the types of questions asked, the one's responded to, and the ones not responded to, it appears I am not going to get my questions answered.

The next update you guys do updates with this new, and impressive program, please set it up to allow for manual alignment, and scaling of images. I have tried a few variations by manipulating images in other programs such as MS Office Picture Mgr, Paint, and Irfanview. Even with them, I am extremely limited in what I can do.

In pict. mgr, I even tried scaling the one image that would not work, and all ICE did was to blow it up, which made it a completely disproportionate image once the stitching operation was performed.

One guy on Irfanview's forum told me about a 3rd party program that would allow me to place the images into a desktop publishing app, scale and align them, doing what I'd originally hoped to obtain. Using that- I finally got what I wanted.

Once I realized what this app was, I also realized we already have one in Publisher, with Office 2007. So, I even tried MS Publisher, and the image tools were not allowing me to do what I needed.

While I really do like the auto-stitch work ICE does-- some more tools to deal with the not so obvious would make it even better still.

As our budget, and normal type of work (I work in engineering. Telling the boss that I need a photoeditor just garners laughs, and more questions than this is worth) does not justify for Photoshop, or Illustrator, this as a "Freeware" helps where smaller outfits like mine can benefit.

• Marked as answer by SteveDB1 Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:51 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:27 PM