OneCare vs Windows Malicious Software remonval tool vs Windows Defender RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know that OneCare supersedes the later mentioned tools, but is this mathematical expression correct?

Detection Bases(Windows Malicious Software removal tool + Windows Defender)=Detection Bases(Live OneCare)
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:21 AM

Answers

• I'm not sure that I would attempt a mathematical expression for it. If you want to use your expression, you'd need to add one more part to the first section as the OneCare protection includes what you'll get from Defender and should include the removal/detection features of the Malicious Software Removal tool, but adds more detection and removal information.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Hello xpsunny, the answer to that is yes. Windows Defender does not detect viruses and the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool only scans for a limited number of the most prevalent threats and offers no "real time" protection.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live / Windows Live One Care Forum Moderator
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:54 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure that I would attempt a mathematical expression for it. If you want to use your expression, you'd need to add one more part to the first section as the OneCare protection includes what you'll get from Defender and should include the removal/detection features of the Malicious Software Removal tool, but adds more detection and removal information.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Does that mean that OneLive care's detection rate supersedes Defender+Malicious removal tool's detection rate? 
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Hello xpsunny, the answer to that is yes. Windows Defender does not detect viruses and the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool only scans for a limited number of the most prevalent threats and offers no "real time" protection.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live / Windows Live One Care Forum Moderator
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:54 PM