Resources 'Disappeared' from MSP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

This is a bit vague but really hope someone has encountered something similar before...This issue is for a specific customer and I can basically only confirm what they have told me. They are using Project Server 2007 and updates in MSP is limited to come from PWA Tasks only - as such schedule owners cannot edit actual work in MSP and cannot remove resources from tasks if they have booked actual work on the tasks - MSP basically 'undo' these changes if they try to do so.

There is now however a project where a users did book time on several tasks over the past few months, but now this resource is suddenly 'removed' from the project (all task assignments is removed and the resource is actually removed from the project team completely). We have some historic data snapshots which proves that the users did actually book time on the tasks and that it was approved. Now this is all gone and we don't have any idea as to how this could have happened. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated...

The only explanation I could think of was that someone restored an old archived version of the project, but I was assured that no one did anything of the sort. This scenario is for two resources on a specific project and apparently this was found on another project as well...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:51 PM

Answers

• My post link included here provides a bit more detail about the scenario.  "Mike Fisher has just described something similar in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/978b3b1b-c671-4cff-b1a5-bf0514b38e00. Is the issue in yopur case also related to sub projects?" Regards Barbara

Coenraad, et al.

The case sounds similiar.  The missing resources in the projects are discovered once the standalone project scheudle or master schedule re-opened from the server after the master schedule containing the projects is closed, saved and checkin. 

• The resources are definitely not humanly deleted from the enterprise resource pool.
    • It is not possible for a resource to delete just the resource name from the task with acutal hours w/out also deleting the actual hours.
    • It is not possible to delete a resoruce from the Build Team for a resoruce with actuals. 
    • I have not involved Microsoft yet, because I have been unable to re-create a repeatable scenario.
    • Client has seen in the past missing task descriptions due to memory issues but not in combination with this scenario or any other oddities.

Looking for any other troubleshooting tips or others that have experienced this.

Mike Fisher, MBA, PMP
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hi Sandra, this was resolved with the client side fixes in the December 2011 Cumulative Update - KB 2596984. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596984  Any more recent cumulative update, including the recently released August 2012 CU will contain the fix too http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687386.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:01 PM

All replies

• The way this can happen is that the "Resource" was deleted.   This is done in serve settings, "Delete Enterprise Objects".   It's not a best practice.  The user should have been set "INACTIVE" instead.   However, this could explain why resource is missing.

You may be able to restore some of the enterprise pool and restore archive projects.   I would test on a test project sever.  But personally, with all my experience, I don't know of a way to restore hours for a single resource other than reentering and approving. ugh!

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Thanks Michael

The resource is not deleted from the enterprise global, it just disappeared fom a specific project.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Coenraad:

If your customer has activated administrative backups with some amount of retention, you might be able to track it that way. The problem you pose, as you note in your first post, is completely vague. Could it be possible that a resource was replaced? Given the lack of data you provide, I think that you need to spend some time playing detective. Look at the data stored in the EPM timesheets versus the Project timesheets. Restore some backups to find the point in time that the issue occurred. I have never heard anyone report this before. If any of the expert regulars on board had heard of such a thing, I think that you would have heard from them by now.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Thanks Gary

Yes, the details is vague, unfortuantely we only got the 'call' quite some time after de fact and we don't find anything in the logs or the queue - which was cleared by the time we started investigating. We can see that the resources did book time against the project - and they can't be replaced as we limit actuals in MSP to come from PWA only - so if you try and replace or remove the resources MSP warns you that you cannot perform the action. The only way I can reproduce thsi si by restoring an old archived version, but they maintain that they did not restore an archived copy of the project. This is a real strange one...

There are some discrepency between the two cases they submitted - in the one scenario the resource was completed removed from the project team with all evidence of the actual work in MSP gone - in the other scenario (I actually have the MSP copy) the resource is still on the project team, but all the assignements for that resources has been removed AND the actual work for that resource shows up as actual work for the Unassigned resource when looking at the Resource Usage view....

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Coenraad:

Can you identify any other oddities about the projects in question, such as blank task lines,  blank summary task lines? Anything is possible when the project data becomes corrupt. I suggest that you open a support case with Microsoft.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hi Coenraad,

Mike Fisher has just described something similar in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/978b3b1b-c671-4cff-b1a5-bf0514b38e00. Is the issue in yopur case also related to sub projects?

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, March 4, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Hi Barbara

Hope you are doing well..

I think I came accross a similar post as the above somewhere before, but kind of dismissed it since the project we found the issue with do not have any subprojects inserted - that being said, I never considered that the user might have added and removed a subproject which could have caused this. I am following up to find out whether they possibly did have a subproject inserted at some time.

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Friday, March 4, 2011 6:46 AM
  • My post link included here provides a bit more detail about the scenario.  "Mike Fisher has just described something similar in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/978b3b1b-c671-4cff-b1a5-bf0514b38e00. Is the issue in yopur case also related to sub projects?" Regards Barbara

Coenraad, et al.

The case sounds similiar.  The missing resources in the projects are discovered once the standalone project scheudle or master schedule re-opened from the server after the master schedule containing the projects is closed, saved and checkin. 

• The resources are definitely not humanly deleted from the enterprise resource pool.
    • It is not possible for a resource to delete just the resource name from the task with acutal hours w/out also deleting the actual hours.
    • It is not possible to delete a resoruce from the Build Team for a resoruce with actuals. 
    • I have not involved Microsoft yet, because I have been unable to re-create a repeatable scenario.
    • Client has seen in the past missing task descriptions due to memory issues but not in combination with this scenario or any other oddities.

Looking for any other troubleshooting tips or others that have experienced this.

Mike Fisher, MBA, PMP
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hi All

Funny enough, but got this same issue today at another client - this time using Project Server 2010 with Dec CU. Again this schedule is not a master schedule nor inserted as a subproject in another schedule. The user who got the issue mentioned that this happened after approving hours by opening the project in MSP and then, from the backstage, clicking on the "Check for Updates" option and then reviewing and approving the time. I will test a couple of scenario's to see whether I can reproduce and then post back with the results.

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Monday, March 7, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Just FYI for additional information.  

We are still using MPS 2007 Oct CU. 

Client reports this after processing task updates on Mondays.  Maybe a connection with Task Updates.

To be continued.  Still attempting to capture a repeatable scenario.

Thank you for the update and information.

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher, MBA, PMP
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hi Mike

In our case its somewhat different since we did not make use master schedules. We do however have a case open with MS who seems to have encountered this with a few other customers as well. The last communication I received from them stated that they have made some progress on the issue and will share that with us in the next week. Will post back as soon as I get further feedback.

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:21 AM
  • We are having the same problem in our environment, I opened the Microsoft support on Monday but they said they can not solve without reproducing the error. This error was never reported to them. But we did not find a pattern when the error occurs, we could only detect it after the project has been published.
    Our environment is Windows Server 2003, Project Server 2007, Project Professional 2007.

Microsoft also requested it to be updated for the following versions. (But was not designed to resolve this problem)

Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Server Hotfix Cumulative Update Package (WSS-server package): April 26, 2011
                           http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2512783
      Office SharePoint Server 2007 hotfix package Cumulative Update Server (MOSS server-package): April 26, 2011
                          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2512782

If someone could find a pattern or why this error occurs please advise.

Regards

Guilherme Fabri

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Same thing... working with Project Server 2010 all the non-local resources have dissapeared although Actual Work had been reported. No more allocations and no more actuals (work, cost) and no more EVM... this is very bad in a project with 4 reported months more 12 to go and 12 resources. Sure we are able to manually insert the data (reported in TimeSheets) but the work to do so is significant not mentioning the lack of confindence this kind of things rise. Does anynone knows a way to "rebuild" the project tasks based on the timesheets (or any other method to bring back the information)?
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Hi Luis,

The threads above all relate to Project Server 2007, and we are aware and working on this issue.  We have not seen this same issue with 2010.  Could you contact me please at Brian.Smith@Microsoft.com so that we can review if this is indeed thesame issue? 

Thanks and best regards,

Brian Smith

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Hi all,

I am working with Guilherme in the case he described, but so far we can not solve the problem.

So I wonder if someone could solve it and in this case I would like to know the solution.

Thanks and best regards,

Maurício Kobren

Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Brian - I have sent you an email with information regarding this occurring in Project Server 2010. 
    Naomi Flanagan
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hi Coenraad,

We discovered exactly the same problem in our production environment as you described.
    We are using Project Server 2007 and Project 2007 with SP3, time entry by timesheets only, no subprojects, no deleted resources.
    Did You find any solution?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Regards

Sandra

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Hi Sandra, this was resolved with the client side fixes in the December 2011 Cumulative Update - KB 2596984. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596984  Any more recent cumulative update, including the recently released August 2012 CU will contain the fix too http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687386.

Best regards,

Brian.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Hello Brian,

we are experiencing the same kind of issue with MS Project 2010 as well. Can you please advise which hotfix or CU we should run in order to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Regards,

Yasmeen Arshad

Friday, September 14, 2012 5:23 AM