Unable to open Money file and getting "Invalid Data" error when attempting to repair RRS feed

• Question

• Last evening, Money Money Plus Deluxe 17.0.120.3817 worked fine.  This evening the same file will not open, "corrupted or not a money file".  I tried repairing and get error message "Invalid Data" and the repair process aborts.  I  was able to open my backup file dated May 2, 2014.  So the application is working.  Is there something I can do to repair and retrieve my latest file?  Rebooted the machine running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks

Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:14 AM

Answers

• If neither

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

work on that file, it is too corrupted to fix.

You might be able to download OFX files from your bank, credit card, and/or broker to minimize the catching up.

• Marked as answer by knussml Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:23 PM
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:16 PM

All replies

• When you closed Money last evening, your current backup file should have been updated.  Did you try to open that?
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:39 AM
  • I thought about that overnight and checked.  The only *.mbf file is the one I intentionally saved 5-2-14.  Years ago, files backed up automatically each time money was closed.  I remember that feature.  Not sure when that stopped.  Perhaps when I changed from MS Money 2007 to Sunset edition?  If I can get my file repaired, how can I get the backup feature back?  Is there a setting?  Also to be precise, the error message I'm getting when attempting to repair is "Invalid database".

Thanks

Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Default is to keep the 4 latest backups.

When you restored your single backup, you probably had Money restore to the same filename you were using originally. If you had chosen a different name, you could have tried a repair on the problem file. However by using the same name, I was overwritten.

Be glad you had that backup. Be glad your hard drive did not crash.

Going forward, I suggest that in Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _10_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _14_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _3_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

* to let you skip the backup for times that you don't care to do

As you probably did before, copy your latest backup, maybe
    monthly, to a CDR.  What is new to you is that the backup file is
    already uniquely named.

Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Cal,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I looked at my backup setting and backup on close was not enabled, bummer.  Should have know better.  Last night I changed the setting to backup and compress on close.  Keeping latest three backups.  I confirmed that is working.

When I restored the file backed up in early May, I saved as a unique name different from the problem file.  Still the repair function is unable to deal with what ever is ailing the problem.  Just wondering if there's something I can do to repair the repair function or a work around.  Yes, I'm fortunately that it wasn't longer ago that I backed up.

Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:47 PM
  • If neither

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

work on that file, it is too corrupted to fix.

You might be able to download OFX files from your bank, credit card, and/or broker to minimize the catching up.

• Marked as answer by knussml Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:23 PM
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:16 PM